Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel GPU Tools 1.13 Adds Kabylake Support

Phoronix: Intel GPU Tools 1.13 Adds Kabylake Support

A new version of intel-gpu-tools has been released, the package used to assist in debugging Intel Linux graphics driver issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do we know if these coming GPU will support (finally!) FP64?

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post
      Do we know if these coming GPU will support (finally!) FP64?
      Why is everyone so obsessed with FP64? I don't think anybody uses it, not even the current game engines. There's no big need for double precision in real-time rendering at the moment.
      Last edited by yzsolt; 02 December 2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
        Why is everyone so obsessed with FP64? I don't think anybody uses it, not even the current game engines. There's no big need for double precision in real-time rendering at the moment.

That is because you do not realize that GPU can be used for something else than displaying stuffs on your screen. What people like me are doing on everyday basis, is to use these chip for computing where FP64 is essential. The current versions of Intel GPU are not FP64 capable and so no computing with these beasts. So, I was wondering if Intel made a change in their marketing policy because they sell their GPU as OpenCL device but that's useless until their support fp64.This is also why we are using nvidia chip as they offer the best GPU-computing environment for now as they support CUDA, OpenCL and OpenACC with a descent FP64 (even if on that very aspect, AMD offers a better choice).
        Last edited by adakite; 03 December 2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
          GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 is a prerequisite for both GL_ARB_tessellation_shader and GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit - as of writing this comment, when we get all three, the Intel driver can advertise OpenGL 4.2 compliance. That means it'll be caught up to where Mesa in general is.
          Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
            I don't think it's actually a pre-requisite, just an "interacts with". The pre-requisite is OpenGL 3.2 and GLSL 1.50 IIRC. The spec does say that the 3.2 compatibility profile is a pre-requisite but further down identifies the changes required if 3.2 core is available but 3.2 compatibility is not (which I think is the case for mesa).

Dependencies on ARB_gpu_shader_fp64

If ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 is supported, discussion of the maximum number of input, output, and uniform components supported by the implementation for tessellation control and evaluation shaders should note each double-precision floating-point value is counted as two components.
            Last edited by bridgman; 07 December 2015, 08:11 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Intel wants OpenGL ES 3.1 support (needed for Android 5+). This depends on OpenGL 4.2, so it is very likely that Intel will be the first to support this. As Android mainly runs on Baytrail and the used GPU is similar to Ivy Bridge you can guess what will be the oldest gen to support it. Maybe a newer gen is first but that is certainly the main target. Then you could get rid of binary blobs on Android devices - would be an interesting benchmark, like a Nexus player with OSS against binary...

Basically AMD should target the same.

Comment

Working...
              X