Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.0 Is Ready For Release

Phoronix: PHP 7.0 Is Ready For Release

The official announcement has yet to come down the wire, but PHP 7.0.0 is ready for release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

saves so many characters and long lines...null coalescing, unicode escape, expectations, use grouping.

Comment

They forgot to fix the defining of a variable with $ prefix. When can we expect them to remove that hideous prefix?

Comment

I tried to send an email through php and then I realize I need to set up a smtp to do it, I know I'm a noob about this (no experience at all on smtp and just a little on php) but I had hope that it would be just to run the code and receive the email.
        Other than that, I didn't like it too much, since I was used to use .net

Comment

Cool, but the transition to it is likely to be long and painful...

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            I tried to send an email through php and then I realize I need to set up a smtp to do it, I know I'm a noob about this (no experience at all on smtp and just a little on php) but I had hope that it would be just to run the code and receive the email.
            Other than that, I didn't like it too much, since I was used to use .net
            PHP (I think with the help of some other package?) can send email out, but yeah you need an SMTP server to actually send the emails (so PHP > SMTP > recipient).

Comcast doesn't have the port open for mail so I can't just host my own server, but I use SendGrid for a SMTP server.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: PHP 7.0 Is Ready For Release

The official announcement has yet to come down the wire, but PHP 7.0.0 is ready for release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...P-7.0-Is-Ready
              Just a note: http://php.net states that "PHP 7 is up to twice as fast as PHP 5.6" - so the average is believed to be less than 2x. The Phoronix article states "around 2x faster".

Comment

The performance improvement is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

Just a note: http://php.net states that "PHP 7 is up to twice as fast as PHP 5.6" - so the average is believed to be less than 2x. The Phoronix article states "around 2x faster".

from what i saw, for common web apps it looked like 2x was on the conservative side - for things like wordpress often there's 2x to 3x speed improvement.

here, have a link:

A bit further in some of the other benchmarks seem a little lower, but I think that was quite an old version of PHP 7, and a lot of people cherry pick benchmarks of optimal test cases, whereas it looks like significant improvements happen in real commonly used web apps.

One of the Phoronix tests was going a lot quicker (the render test), but that's not really a common web app to my mind.
                  Last edited by mercutio; 03 December 2015, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Too bad there is no support for decorators.

Code:
                    [Authorize(Roles = "Admin")]
                    public ActionResult Index()
                    {
                        return View();
                    }

Comment

Working...
                    X