Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Very Close With Tessellation Shaders For Mesa

Phoronix: Intel Is Very Close With Tessellation Shaders For Mesa

Intel has finally published a new patch series for implementing the OpenGL 4.0 tessellation shader support within their Mesa DRI driver. It looks like this code is about ready to be finally mainlined!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I read that this was only for Gen8 and later and took it as "we're not supporting Gen7 / 7.5 ever" instead of not with this patch. But still, it sucks because I'm stuck with a Core i3-3217U and I can't use it :P.

Comment

About time. Now all Intel has to do is get GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 and GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit out of the way and we can move onto mesa 12. Or, we'll have to wait for radeonsi to get GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store and GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters. Personally, I hope the latter happens first

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Luigi View Post
        I read that this was only for Gen8 and later and took it as "we're not supporting Gen7 / 7.5 ever" instead of not with this patch. But still, it sucks because I'm stuck with a Core i3-3217U and I can't use it :P.
        The original message contains this:
        Ivybridge and Haswell support is on the way - most of it's implemented,
        but there are a number of lingering GPU hangs that need to be fixed
        before it's really usable.
        As the article states, this work is too late for mesa 11.1. But if Ken follows through on that "is on the way", and gets tess going on Ivy and Haswell in time for mesa 11.2, I'm good.

Some gpu_shader_fp64 and vertex_attrib_64bit is also already written, hopefully someone will finish that in the timeframe for 11.2 too. Then, compute shaders are really close, v3 of the final patchset was reviewed in the last few days. There might be a few more rounds of review, but still, it's close. So maybe Intel could have OpenGL 4.3 in the next mesa release!
        Last edited by Gusar; 03 December 2015, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          The 26 patches published today allow tessellation to work with the Intel driver in titles like Unigine Heaven and Shadow of Mordor.
          Is there any Intel GPU that can run the game at an acceptable speed with tessellation? People tend to have terrible performance with anything but high-end dedicated GPUs. Last test here at phoronix shows a GTX750 being below 30 fps at low settings.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Is there any Intel GPU that can run the game at an acceptable speed with tessellation? People tend to have terrible performance with anything but high-end dedicated GPUs. Last test here at phoronix shows a GTX750 being below 30 fps at low settings.
            Did that 750 have reclocking enabled? If not, then ignore the data point.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Intel has faster GPUs like Iris Pro (currently Broadwell) too. It was faster than any AMD APU in most benchmarks. Maybe Intel could even beat the XBox One GFX with it, I really miss some benchmarks...

Comment

This series isn't finished nor does it has any reviewings. @Michael: Did you see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/102178.html instead? Seems like i965 is getting GLES3.1 support very soon.

Comment

I really hope it doesn't take the open source drivers 5 years to implement a spec for Vulkan like it does with OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Did that 750 have reclocking enabled? If not, then ignore the data point.
                    It only runs on the proprietary driver and there is reclocking is working on that. SoM just is a shitty Linux port that runs at best at 60% of the Windows performance on Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                    X