Apple's Swift Is Now Open-Source, Development Snapshots For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's Swift Is Now Open-Source, Development Snapshots For Ubuntu

Phoronix: Apple's Swift Is Now Open-Source, Development Snapshots For Ubuntu

We've been waiting since this summer for Apple to open-source their Swift programming language and provide Linux support. This week they've done their initial release and stuck to their word...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Swift is great, but it's not crossplatform

The day it'll be crossplatform i'll be interested

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
      Swift is great, but it's not crossplatform

The day it'll be crossplatform i'll be interested

Did you read the article?

Support for Windows and Android is currently being explored. "
      atari314

I'd use Swift in a heartbeat, provided it had a fully functional, multi platform GUI implementation and supported Windows and Android.
      My employer is exploring all sorts of frameworks for a new multi platform strategy and this, next to Mono, would certainly fit the bill.
      Last edited by unixfan2001; 03 December 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Did you read the article?
        Without the prop. Apple libs it is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by beast View Post
          Without the prop. Apple libs it is useless.

Not necessarily. One could always write replacements.
          Mono isn't useless either, despite lacking most Microsoft libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Not necessarily. One could always write replacements.
            Mono isn't useless either, despite lacking most Microsoft libraries.
            Mono developed reimplementations of eveything from Forms (GTK#) to XNA (Monogame) to be useful. Who is going to pick up Swift to develop a cross platform GUI framework on top of it?

Comment

Swift is step backward when we compare it to Objective-C eg. in C++ area (very popular in iOS world). In Swift you need stupid bridges in Objective-C to mix Swift and C++, in Objective-C you can directly use C++ (Objective-C++). If Apple will not fix this situation, Swift will be useless for many tasks.

Comment

I doubt Swift was ever built with the intention of making it easy to use C++ code in it. More probably than not it was intended to make it easy to write new cross platform applications from the ground up and the C++ bridges were probably built to make it easier to re-use legacy code before you re-write it in Swift.

Still not convinced there's any real reason for Swift when we already have C++ and Qt to do the same thing, but the easier it is to port applications across platforms, the better. I can definitely see OSX developers using this to port over their applications to Linux now that it's about as easy as porting a Qt application from OSX to Linux.

Comment

Well. It's mainly the syntax I'm looking forward to. It's got some really nice syntactic sugar.

Comment

I can definitely see OSX developers using this to port over their applications to Linux now that it's about as easy as porting a Qt application from OSX to Linux.
                    It isn't easy. There are no graphics libraries. OSX applications are useless on desktop Linux with Swift until someone reimplements Cocoa, and that sounds like a buttload of effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X