Chrome 48 To Bring Presentation API & Custom Notification Button Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 48 To Bring Presentation API & Custom Notification Button Work

Phoronix: Chrome 48 To Bring Presentation API & Custom Notification Button Work

Following this week's release of Chrome 47, Google has announced the beta release of Chrome 48...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, at least there is one feature in which Chrome is on the top among all browsers. No matter that Firefox is better at anything else, it'll never catch up in this one.

The version number...

Comment

Isn't WebRTC a standard? Is there a need for Chrome to extend upon a standard that was finalized less than a year ago just to promote it's own codec?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Isn't WebRTC a standard? Is there a need for Chrome to extend upon a standard that was finalized less than a year ago just to promote it's own codec?
        From what I understand, WebRTC negotiates a codec and the standard just specifies a minimum "must support" set of them, so adding VP9 to Chrome just means that it can prefer it if both sides indicate support. (Sort of like how TLS negotiates a cipher and they periodically add new ones and retire old ones to keep ahead of advancements in attacks.)

Comment

Has real-time encoding of VP9 improved enough for rtc?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

From what I understand, WebRTC negotiates a codec and the standard just specifies a minimum "must support" set of them, so adding VP9 to Chrome just means that it can prefer it if both sides indicate support. (Sort of like how TLS negotiates a cipher and they periodically add new ones and retire old ones to keep ahead of advancements in attacks.)
            That makes sense, thanks.

Comment

oh that explains the sudden and slightly creepy "it will rain on tommorow" notification on android

Comment

How long until Mozilla copies this one I wonder. Those guys at Mozilla are nothing but a Copy Machine now, it's really unfortunate. A little originality would be welcomed by many I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  How long until Mozilla copies this one I wonder. Those guys at Mozilla are nothing but a Copy Machine now, it's really unfortunate. A little originality would be welcomed by many I believe.
                  I, for one, appreciate a browser that doesn't constantly bug me to log in to surf the web. Or that lets me select the installation folder.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I, for one, appreciate a browser that doesn't constantly bug me to log in to surf the web. Or that lets me select the installation folder.
                    Same here
                    Plus, I like that it asks me if I want to install the auto-updater
                    Also it seems to be the only one that cares about privacy

Comment

Working...
                    X