Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R600g Tessellation Support Lands In Mesa Git

Phoronix: AMD R600g Tessellation Support Lands In Mesa Git

Just one week after talking about progress being made with AMD tessellation support for pre-GCN GPUs, the support has been finally added to Mesa Git!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Due to hardware factors, not all R600g graphics processors are able to support tessellation easily, but just the HD 5000 "Evergreen" and HD 6900 "Cayman" graphics cards. Testing is needed for other HD 5000/6000 series hardware.
    Huh?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...9b2d93cad135f1

Seems like every card Evergreen+ is supported, which matches what the hardware is capable of. It's only fp64 softfloat support that is holding back any GL4 support now.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Huh?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...9b2d93cad135f1

Seems like every card Evergreen+ is supported, which matches what the hardware is capable of. It's only fp64 softfloat support that is holding back any GL4 support now.
      Probably it means that in theory those cards should work, but have not been tested at all, as the dev has no such card available. I'll test my Barts if I manage to build this thing.

EDIT: Barts (6850) works, at least visually, performance is not quite there yet.
      Last edited by eydee; 10 December 2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Yay. This is fantastic news for us 5800 Evergreen owners that are getting dropped by Catalyst.

Comment

I have a 6870 (Barts). One that will not expose 4.x because of a lack of fp64. My question is, do cards like mine still accel tessellation even if not exposing GL4 support?

Comment

Originally posted by mhartman1985 View Post
            I have a 6870 (Barts). One that will not expose 4.x because of a lack of fp64. My question is, do cards like mine still accel tessellation even if not exposing GL4 support?
            Yes. With this new driver code simpliest way to test on real app is if you try Unigine Heaven benchmark and enable tessellation. GL 4 context is not required there, but tessellation should work.

Or anybody with EG/NI can test, just use this new driver code then run heaven with tessellation enabled... that is enough to test if it works - basically if it render OK (and does that in all of 3 tess modes) there and does not lock up GPU, etc. then it is fine...
            Last edited by dungeon; 07 December 2015, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Probably it means that in theory those cards should work, but have not been tested at all, as the dev has no such card available. I'll test my Barts if I manage to build this thing.
              If one of those developers is looking for a Evergreen card, I still have a Toshiba Satellite C650 powered by AMD E-350 (horrible cheap plastic case broken with a small drop). The board and screen are fine without the hard drive and needs a new power converter.

Comment

Someone please tell me, cause I always tend to forget: what is the purpose of all this work? And by all this, I mean all of the open-source graphics stacks. If it is not maintained by the vendors themselves, what good is it t become feature complete (or not even) by the time even the vendors themselves deem their hardware deprecated ("legacy" is the nice term).

It is just a waist of time. If I were an ATI 5xxxx card owner (and I still am, but use Windows), I'd have already upgraded to an R2xx GPU and lack again a new set of features that will be complete once I sell my junk, etc.

Comment

Does http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ at "Tessellation Shader Stages" has to be updated accordingly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
                    It is just a waist of time. If I were an ATI 5xxxx card owner (and I still am, but use Windows), I'd have already upgraded to an R2xx GPU and lack again a new set of features that will be complete once I sell my junk, etc.
                    In some parts of the world (most actually) those cards cost 2-3x of what the average monthly salary is. Some people have family, kids, have to pay bills etc., and just can't buy the newest shiny hardware every year.

Comment

Working...
                    X