Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 2.5 Is Near With 3D GPU Support & More

Phoronix: QEMU 2.5 Is Near With 3D GPU Support & More

QEMU 2.5-RC3 was released today as the last final release candidate scheduled before the official release of QEMU 2.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just a reminder folks:

You will need... Mesa 11.1, Kernel 4.4, and QEMU 2.5 in order to use Virtual 3D. If you're not on a rolling release distro, it'll probably be a bit before you see the fruits of these labors.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Just a reminder folks:

You will need... Mesa 11.1, Kernel 4.4, and QEMU 2.5 in order to use Virtual 3D. If you're not on a rolling release distro, it'll probably be a bit before you see the fruits of these labors.
      Agree those the requirements for the guest or the host?

Comment

Originally posted by reub2000 View Post

Agree those the requirements for the guest or the host?
        Host needs those for sure, I think the Mesa and kernel requirements are the same for guests too. BUT, I could be mistaken on that point.

Comment

qemu 2.5 enables hyper-v enlightenments when using GPU passthrough with an Nvidia card

requires you to use the hv_vendor_id cpu flag

Comment

Would be this better than not too much good Virtualbox 3D acceleration on desktop?

I know that QEMU has much more use cases that Virtualbox, for example with ARM Android - bochs, exagears.. but main visualization use is still on PC.

Second question is, would this driver be OpenGL only or Direct 3D for Windows visualization would be also possible?

Comment

On ARM, due a 4-year-old issue, it's not possible to boot linux images. Interestingly BSD's or Hurd are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
                On ARM, due a 4-year-old issue, it's not possible to boot linux images. Interestingly BSD's or Hurd are fine.
                What's the bug? o.O

Comment

It's more of a lack of feature:
                  If you apply some workarounds for bug 870990, bug 883133 and bug 883136 QEMU still cannot boot the i386 debian_squeeze_i386_standard.qcow2 image from http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/i386/ -- grub starts to boot but something causes the system to reset just before display of the blue-background grub menu, so we go round in a loop forever. This image boots OK on i386 hosted qemu so this indicates some kind of ARM-host specific bug.

Comment

If you're not on a rolling release distro, it'll probably be a bit before you see the fruits of these labors.
                    two months or so if you want to skip rcs, then dnf --releasever=24
                    I think the Mesa and kernel requirements are the same for guests too
                    windows guests have no kernel

Comment

Working...
                    X