Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox To Ship Rust & Servo Components Next Year

Phoronix: Firefox To Ship Rust & Servo Components Next Year

Mozilla made the announcement earlier today that they are ending Firefox OS. However, there is some unrelated bright news today for Firefox fans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IIRC, Mozilla still hasn't totally committed to using Servo in Firefox. As for the "components" they're going to be using, it's stuff like the URL parser. Small things where replacing them won't see too big of a change in Firefox itself for good or bad, but where the new component might do a couple things the old one didn't. Don't expect something amazing to happen after this

I'm still waiting on Servo windows builds, since unfortunately most of my time is spent on Windows these days so it's where I have the most time for testing.

Comment

Exactly my point I made in the "End of Firefox OS" thread. Mozilla's got good leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        Exactly my point I made in the "End of Firefox OS" thread. Mozilla's got good leadership.
        Realistically, Mozilla has good developers. Horrible leadership. Some of the worst I've seen.

Comment

Two of the three stars of Mozilla's road show, in my opinion. I'm so glad they're refocusing their efforts on a few projects because Firefox needs it and Rust+Servo are looking pretty crisp right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            IIRC, Mozilla still hasn't totally committed to using Servo in Firefox. As for the "components" they're going to be using, it's stuff like the URL parser. Small things where replacing them won't see too big of a change in Firefox itself for good or bad, but where the new component might do a couple things the old one didn't. Don't expect something amazing to happen after this
            I think it's mostly about integrating Rust into the build system, getting all the Firefox devs building with it, etc. They're being smart to start if off small rather than wholesale replacing giant components right off the bat.

Comment

A couple of points I would like to make in-case Firefox developers are listening in.
              1. Make Firefox not destroy my Bookmarks via Firefox Sync and "maybe" I might be willing to forgive Firefox's betrayal.
              2. Download Window needs to be a Tab by default, Settings is a tab so it's the next logical iteration.
              3. Stop Trying to Push Firefox Chat or Hello or whatever its called on me. Make that into its own separate App called Mozilla Chat that integrates into FF if necessary. Remember how Thunderbird RSS Feeds, and Thunderbird IRC and Thunderbird Google Talk support was a huge success? Said no one ever.
              4. Do one thing and do it well. Render my web pages quickly and painlessly.
              5. Make sure XPI and third party utilities don't slowdown or break FF.
              6. Better Developer Tools. Firefox Developer Edition was a good first start but Chrome Developer Tools are extremely robust with their profiler and excellent functionality.
              I just opened Firefox - WTF is Firefox Pocket? Quit giving me sh1t i didn't ask for. Also, stop copying Chrome it makes it obvious they are the superior selection when you change your UI and Versioning Number system to mimic their behavior.

The only time I presently use Firefox is to get around cPanel and WHM security warning screens because of a certificate expiration or mismatch, chrome doesn't all saving passwords on those pages.

Only other plus is that I self host local versions of websites at eg: http://photocompanywebsite.local under a .local extension I created, at least Firefox correctly resolves to my local Apache hosted website whereas chrome thinks I want to do a Google Search when not including the HTTP://
              Last edited by ElectricPrism; 09 December 2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                A couple of points I would like to make in-case Firefox developers are listening in.[LIST=1][*]Make Firefox not destroy my Bookmarks via Firefox Sync and "maybe" I might be willing to forgive Firefox's betrayal.(
                Ah funny I quit recently Firefox over a similar issue, Firefox was unable to restore my bookmarks, I had to use an old Firefox version to be able to retrieve them..
                The good thing about this painful incident is that when I switched over to a new PC with more RAM (Chrome is a pig but when you have 8GB and a SSD it doesn't matter), the Chrome or FF choice was easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  The only time I presently use Firefox is to get around cPanel and WHM security warning screens because of a certificate expiration or mismatch, chrome doesn't all saving passwords on those pages.
                  LOL I do the same.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Mozilla should abandon also thunderbird project: rather useless. Firefox is the project to improve above all because firefox is very slow and prolix browser in browsing and configuration; besides team has to improve efficiency eliminating several useless plugins redundant information simplifing both structure and appearance. Browser should be adaptive based on platforms taking benefit of hardware acceleration without microsoft interference. (Xp is no longer supported in hardware acceleration!? Why!?). If a team don't understand the importance of these questions it's better to develop nothing.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 09 December 2015, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X