Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support For DRI1 Might Be Stripped From The X.Org Server

Phoronix: Support For DRI1 Might Be Stripped From The X.Org Server

It looks like the Direct Rendering Infrastructure 1 (DRI1) might have met its death sentence in the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    [b]Mesa and others in mainline haven't used it in some time with DRI2 being the standard and DRI3 slowly being adopted
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-DRI1-X-Server
    While Mesa hasn't included DRI1 drivers in quite a few years, they still preserve compatibility with those drivers in newer mesa versions. If you have an old radeon (e.g. R200) card's drivers installed locally, the libGL loader in mesa will still allow you to run those drivers on top of some of the current mesa stack.... you just don't gain many of the benefits of new mesa as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      If you have an old radeon (e.g. R200) card...
      R200 actually has a proper DRI2 driver, which is still included in the latest Mesa releases.

The DRI1 drivers were: i810, mach64, mga, r128, savage, sis, tdfx, and unichrome. Mesa dropped these about 4 years ago.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

I just pulled out my old Pentium III 1200 and chucked a ATI Radeon 7000 64MB in (oooh, DVI) and plan on comparing stuff like Mint to Peppermint. Puppy, DSL, WinXP (and I might even try some stipepd down 32bit versions of 7, 8 and 10) etc.

Will be interesting to see how this thing hold's up. I even have a shitty SSD with a parallel => SATA adapter to speed things along compared with the 160GB WD HDD.
        Hi

Comment

Isn't Connor Behan still working on r128 that needs DRI1?

Comment

The way I see it, if you don't have a DRI2 compatible GPU, chances are you don't have any gain in using the latest kernels and/or latest Xorg releases. These days, it isn't even economical to use such old hardware. I'm all for dropping the support of these old devices.

Comment

Wasn't really entirely sure if DRI1 existed (never heard it mentioned until now)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The way I see it, if you don't have a DRI2 compatible GPU, chances are you don't have any gain in using the latest kernels and/or latest Xorg releases. These days, it isn't even economical to use such old hardware. I'm all for dropping the support of these old devices.
                So you're saying that older hardware is immune to security vulnerabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                  So you're saying that older hardware is immune to security vulnerabilities?
                  No, he's saying that at some point old hardware should be declared "unsupported" and should be treated as such by devs and users.
                  A false sense of security is worse than no security IMO, and if DRI1 isn't developed, chances are it also has unfixed holes.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    I even have a shitty SSD with a parallel => SATA adapter to speed things along compared with the 160GB WD HDD.
                    I read that those IDE to SATA adapters are actually very slow, so you lose all the benefits of the faster SSD due to the slowness of the adapter. In practice you'll probably notice a little bit faster response times but not significantly better throughput. Personally I just use Compact Flash cards whenever possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X