Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Pixel C Android Tablet Uses The Nouveau Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Google's Pixel C Android Tablet Uses The Nouveau Kernel Driver

It turns out that with Google's Pixel C Android tablet, they decided to use the open-source Nouveau DRM kernel driver by default for this ARM device powered by NVIDIA's Tegra X1 SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, maybe this is why the graphic performance is not great compared to the TK1, but all in all the best news for the open source graphic drivers.

Comment

The DRM layer is usually very tiny, so I doubt this will affect the performance a lot. But it allows the blob to use GPL-only linux features like DMA-BUF + GEM. Both are required for a good memory management on the X1, especially for managing the shared memory. The good news here is, NVIDIA must also release all in-kernel parts of their patches. Will the power management parts of it matches well to desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by degasus View Post
        Will the power management parts of it matches well to desktop?
        Of course no.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
          Of course no.
          Can you please elaborate what leads you to this conclusion?

Comment

It is great to see Google uses open-source alternatives. Kudos!

Comment

Damn, I was just walking out of the airport for my summer vacation in Hell and I caught an instant cold! It's ******* freezing down here!

On a more serious note thought, it seems nVidia got their single open-source kernel driver that can serve both Mesa and their proprietary user-space OpenGL implementation out of the door in a released, working product before AMD could bring AMDGPU to the masses! I am surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                Damn, I was just walking out of the airport for my summer vacation in Hell and I caught an instant cold! It's ******* freezing down here!

On a more serious note thought, it seems nVidia got their single open-source kernel driver that can serve both Mesa and their proprietary user-space OpenGL implementation out of the door in a released, working product before AMD could bring AMDGPU to the masses! I am surprised.

Because who cares about AMD , seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                  Why the surprise ? The two projects started at roughly the same time; we have been prioritizing the upstream open source stack while NVidia has been prioritizing the mostly-closed-source stack (at the expense of not having it all upstream yet). I would have been surprised if their hybrid stack had *not* come out first.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 10 December 2015, 01:16 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

Can you please elaborate what leads you to this conclusion?
                    Not OP, but Nvidia doesn't have the best reputation for cooperation. I'm not expecting something akin to AMDGPU out of them either.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X