Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Intel Core i3 5010U vs. i5 5200U Broadwell Tests On Linux

Phoronix: A Few Intel Core i3 5010U vs. i5 5200U Broadwell Tests On Linux

If looking for budget laptops right now, the Core i3 5010U and Core i5 5200U "Broadwell" processors tend to be very common, but how do they compare under Linux? Here are some benchmarks on Ubuntu 15.10 with the Linux 4.4 kernel to answer that question.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you for these. I decided a few days ago to go for the i5 version of the acer c910. I'm glad my decision wasn't for nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
      Thank you for these. I decided a few days ago to go for the i5 version of the acer c910. I'm glad my decision wasn't for nothing!
      Glad you found these tests of use; they were just some quick, early ones. Stay tuned for a lot more interesting data in the days ahead!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the tests.
        I bought a new laptop earlier this year(april) and i got the i5-5200U lenovo G50-80 and the performance is enough for me for gaming and other things under debian 8 + gnome

Comment

Originally posted by crash View Post
          Thanks for the tests.
          I bought a new laptop earlier this year(april) and i got the i5-5200U lenovo G50-80 and the performance is enough for me for gaming and other things under debian 8 + gnome
          What kernel are you using? I am asking since Debian 8 shipped with 3.16, and I wonder if the support for Broadwell is good enough, or you are using something from backports, etc.

I am running Debian 8 on Sandybridge, so of course I won't find any problems over here. However, I need to get a new laptop rather soon, and I was wondering about that...

Comment

I got a new Broadwell laptop this year too, and use openSUSE (13.2) on it. It needed to have Pontostroy's repository enabled in order to render things correctly, though. Should work well enough with stock 42.1 (I'll update it in a few weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

What kernel are you using? I am asking since Debian 8 shipped with 3.16, and I wonder if the support for Broadwell is good enough, or you are using something from backports, etc.

I am running Debian 8 on Sandybridge, so of course I won't find any problems over here. However, I need to get a new laptop rather soon, and I was wondering about that...
              i'm using the 4.2 kernel from backports and i have no problems to report

Comment

FWIW the large difference in gpu results could be not only due to TDP differences but due to different memory configuration. A dual channel configuration can be quite a bit faster on these chips. Albeit you didn't list the memory configuration - pretty sure the 4GB notebook would be using single channel (haven't seen shipped 4GB configs using 2+2GB for ages), the 8GB may or may not be using dual channel (some very quick search seems to indicate it's dual channel but not entirely sure).

Comment

Ran these tests on my Kaveri notebook - it's funny how the i5 ist much faster in the GPU tests but only ~the same performance in the CPU tests, I expected it to be the other way around. Seems like the Intel driver is much more capable of using the hardware's raw processing power than radeonsi.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I'm on arch, so I'm using the most modern kernel: 4.3.

I heard on the wiki that a lot of the chromebook specific code was posted in 3.19/4.0 though.

Comment

Working...
                    X