Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total War: Attila Performs Miserably On Linux

Phoronix: Total War: Attila Performs Miserably On Linux

Shortly after today's release of GRID Autosport for Linux, The Creative Assembly finally released the Linux port of Total War: Attila. With running the GRID Autosport benchmarks on a number of cards, I also tossed in this strategy game for running some initial Linux benchmarks of this game with both AMD and NVIDIA graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shameful. Just shameful. That shouldn't have even been shipped. I know there are issues with a DirectX to OpenGL layer; Valve's port of the Source engine to Linux initially only got a few frames per second, in comparison to later, optimized development versions getting over 300 frames per second on the same hardware. The difference is that they didn't ship the incomplete, optimized and slow versions as complete ports, like this port is. A Titan X getting 60 FPS in 1080p with minimum graphics!

Comment

Every Total War game since Shogun 2 has supposedly been pretty crappy, from what I've read. I decided to get into them after some advice from a friend, he suggested Shogun 2, but I decided to look around since I prefer Rome and Attila-- the general consensus was they were all pretty meh compared to Shogun 2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Warhammer, the gameplay I've seen has been pretty solid
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Luigi View Post
        Shameful. Just shameful. That shouldn't have even been shipped. I know there are issues with a DirectX to OpenGL layer; Valve's port of the Source engine to Linux initially only got a few frames per second, in comparison to later, optimized development versions getting over 300 frames per second on the same hardware. The difference is that they didn't ship the incomplete, optimized and slow versions as complete ports, like this port is. A Titan X getting 60 FPS in 1080p with minimum graphics!
        Any evidence to support that this is using a D3D->OGL abstraction layer?
        Source games still perform horribly on most hardware though.

Comment

On the plus side for Linux the results are very close to windows

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Every Total War game since Shogun 2 has supposedly been pretty crappy, from what I've read. I decided to get into them after some advice from a friend, he suggested Shogun 2, but I decided to look around since I prefer Rome and Attila-- the general consensus was they were all pretty meh compared to Shogun 2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Warhammer, the gameplay I've seen has been pretty solid
            No offense, but every game by Creative Assembly in hte Total War franchise has been pretty abysmal with regards to release quality. There are always major issues hthat should have been rectified duing the testing phase, but when Rome II came out, I was sincerely miserable about the state of that game; bugs everywhere, piss-poor performance, and that steam REQUIREMENT wa simply insulting (to the point a mate of mine figured this was the state of PC gaming, he went back to console, after all why sell a game you need an internet connection for just to play by yourself!?).

Then there was the constant stream of DLC before the game had even been patched which realistically should ave been part of the original game, part of patches or through addons.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
              Holy shit. It's that bad?

Comment

Yeah, Attila Perform Miserably On Windows Too

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                  So that's not a bad port, just a bad engine

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

So that's not a bad port, just a bad engine
                    well, it is not shooter, it can tolerate lower framerate

Comment

Working...
                    X