No announcement yet.

It Will Soon Be Easier To Run The Latest Wine On Popular Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Will Soon Be Easier To Run The Latest Wine On Popular Linux Distributions

Phoronix: It Will Soon Be Easier To Run The Latest Wine On Popular Linux Distributions

With the Wine crew shipping new unstable releases every two weeks, the Wine packages that end up in Linux distributions tend to be out of date for fetching the bleeding edge support for running Windows programs on Linux. As a result, Wine developers are stepping up their game in providing packages for popular Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The article title is a bit misleading. Wine isn't doing anything. The new wine-staging members are just exhausting their newfound enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      The article title is a bit misleading. Wine isn't doing anything. The new wine-staging members are just exhausting their newfound enthusiasm.
      "Since we already build packages for Wine Staging, we offered to extend our current system to include the development branch...." seems to sort of imply otherwise?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No misleading here, just the understanding of Wine Staging and Wine. Both essentially the same, Wine Staging is just for mostly bug-testing and features that has not come out yet which have not been integrated into the development branch yet. Although I suppose those two has different members, but I would still classify both as the same (since they work for the same thing, to make Wine better).
        Last edited by Sethox; 11 December 2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          No misleading here, just the understanding of Wine Staging and Wine. Both essentially the same, Wine Staging is just for mostly bug-testing and features that has not come out yet which have not been integrated into the development branch yet. Although I suppose those two has different members, but I would still classify both as the same (since they work for the same thing, to make Wine better).
          We'll see how long that lasts. Wine politics will put a quick end to the wine-staging teams current enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

We'll see how long that lasts. Wine politics will put a quick end to the wine-staging teams current enthusiasm.
            For your consideration:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given that development and other older as well as more recent developments, I am going to assume that the reverse might actually occur -- that Wine Staging will effect greater change on WINE than vice versa.

Comment

How will this effect Play On Linux ?

Comment

Oh, and here I was hoping they were actually going to make Wine easier to use. As the title suggested...

That would have been much needed, but well I guess this ain't so bad. I think the title of this article should have been "access" instead of "run".
                Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                wine has no csmt support that gives you 2-3x more fps. Wine-staging has distro packages for version 1.8 rc2 and improves fps compared to the previous version. So for windows games, use this one:
                https://github.com/wine-compholio/wi...i/Installation
                The reason for this is that the CSMT patches are still in an unstable experimental stage. I remember using it to play league of legends (which is pretty stable in normal wine, or as stable as it gets anyways, that game is buggy as shit to begin with), the framerate went up high for sure, but the game also started freezing and crashing on and off. That's probably why it's still out. I haven't tried it recently though, but when it's ready, it will probably be added to mainline.

I also recall it was a bit of a confusing process to enable CSMT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  How will this effect Play On Linux ?

will not affect,...

no ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

We have more demanding games like Tomb Raider 2013, Elders Scroll Skyrim, Pay day 2, Battlefield 3 etc that works perfectly with wine-staging and csmt enabled. Maybe your hardware is too slow for multiprocessing.
                    Since when has Battlefield 3 started working?
                    You know, that game is DirectX 10 only...

Comment

Working...
                    X