Intel Broadwell Laptop OpenGL Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Broadwell Laptop OpenGL Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Intel Broadwell Laptop OpenGL Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux

With having a new Intel Broadwell laptop for testing that came pre-loaded with Microsoft Windows 10 x64, I couldn't resist the opportunity to run some comparison benchmarks against Ubuntu Linux. The Intel HD Graphics 5500 were tested under Windows 10 and then under Ubuntu 15.10 -- both in a stock configuration and then switching over to the Linux 4.4 kernel with Mesa 11.2 Git.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure re: the impact, but your Windows driver was a few month old.

Current one is 15.40.10.4300 and supports OpenGL 4.4.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Not sure re: the impact, but your Windows driver was a few month old.

Current one is 15.40.10.4300 and supports OpenGL 4.4.
      Hmmm I see now. Intel's site was being pesky yesterday and this was the driver installed by default / after all the Windows updates included, so figured it was the latest.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I know you use these benchmarks because they are easy to automate, but I believe pretty much in 2016 they are very unrepresentative of actual performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gauss View Post
          I know you use these benchmarks because they are easy to automate, but I believe pretty much in 2016 they are very unrepresentative of actual performance.
          As explained before, when enough people are interested in these Windows vs. Linux tests to actually support my work so I can spend the time making more tests work on Windows, the collection of games will be upgraded... But so far there's been little interest.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The major takeaway for me is, of course, that Linux again performed better with regards to maximum latency!
            I mean, 30 ms faster than Windows is nothing to sneeze at...

So, when it comes to smoothness during gaming, Linux is indeed the better platform to game on!

Comment

Honestly I like how Michael Benchmark these things, just a few, if I will like something more about windows I will look others places, where are plenty to do a match. It's good to see almost similar performance.

Comment

Open Arena and other meaningless benchmarks, try Unigine Heaven and proper games man..

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                  Open Arena and other meaningless benchmarks, try Unigine Heaven and proper games man..
                  and you try reading the whole article or even the forum posts that were posted before yours... :P

Comment

Michael, any reasons you never do "glmark2" benchmark? It consists of list of different tests? (like GpuTest)
                    It's in Ubuntu's repositories (developt by Linaro)

It's also intended for ARM GPUs: glmark-es2
                    As a follow-up to Thierry Reding's kmscube on NVIDIA's Jetson TK1 Tegra board (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgJMgfxjsk ), here is glmark2 running on the ...

Comment

Working...
                    X