Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How AMD's Carrizo A10-8700P Compares To Intel's Core i3/i5

Phoronix: How AMD's Carrizo A10-8700P Compares To Intel's Core i3/i5

While I ended up returning my AMD A10-8700P "Carrizo" laptop due to its faulty fan, I did run a few benchmarks of it prior to sending it back. Here's roughly what you can expect in terms of its performance against Intel Core i3 and i5 laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much can the benchmarks be trusted when executed on faulty hardware? I mean if the fan was defective, doesn't that mean that the CPU might throttle (like crazy)?

Comment

Well... that was unexpected. The GPU did worse than Intel's and the CPU was very competitive. Normally it's the exact opposite.

It's also interesting to see how huge of a performance difference the turbo boost in the i5 makes compared to the i3. Both CPUs are only 100MHz apart and are otherwise nearly identical.

@Meteorhead
      The article said the processor didn't heat up enough to start throttling.

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
        How much can the benchmarks be trusted when executed on faulty hardware? I mean if the fan was defective, doesn't that mean that the CPU might throttle (like crazy)?
        The second paragraph of the article was, "There was a broken fan blade that led to the noise, but the heatsink fan was still working... As the thermal data shows from that aforelinked article, it wasn't getting too warm during those prior benchmarks so it shouldn't have been thermal throttling. Nevertheless, take these results for what you want. Additionally, the Carrizo tests were done from a live USB due to returning the laptop. This is just a quick, one-page article with the limited data I have available so figured I would share with not knowing if/when I'll have my hands on another Carrizo device under Linux. "

The thermal data shows that laptop not getting too warm, so shouldn;t have been throttling much - http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect...585af17f6ba6e7
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i've and apu a10 8700p... cpu's temp never reach 60° when i play. the notebook of the article reach almost 75°, isn't normale. max temp of this apu is only 90°

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
            i've and apu a10 8700p... cpu's temp never reach 60° when i play. the notebook of the article reach almost 75°, isn't normale. max temp of this apu is only 90°
            So how does your laptop then compare to these results? That would say whether there is a thermal/throttling issue or not. As unless you have the same exact laptop model as this Toshiba one, your temperature difference may be no big deal as between different laptops with the same processor it can often be quite different based upon the vendor's design, cooling, etc.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What are the cTDP's of the tested APUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
                I am mostly interested to hear how that works for you? That HP Pavilion 15 ab062nl that is Carrizo + Oland dGPU it seems... amdgpu + radeon or you use Catalyst there?

I actually have no idea what that m360 dGPU actually is? Maybe it is not Oland at all but Topaz no idea But it is probably Topaz, i really hope that amdgpu+radeon combo does not exist
                Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

put some cinebench r11.5 benchmarks and you will se the difference

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    That would say whether there is a thermal/throttling issue or not.
                    Why did you not just measure the frequencies along the tests?
                    Also, we need to know the exact cTDP of the tested devices. You can configure carrizo from 12 up to 35 Watts. That said, throttling may not occur only because of temps but also of power draw.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Well... that was unexpected. The GPU did worse than Intel's and the CPU was very competitive. Normally it's the exact opposite.
                    Not at all, excavator cores are known being competitive in low power scenarios. There has been much improvement compared to earlier "bulldozerish" core architectures. The reason for the gpu part competing bad here should lie within amd linux drivers and maybe also throttling due to a low cTDP.

Carrizo would be a good platform, actually. A pity there are no good laptops on the market. Maybe the situation will improve with the refresh (bristol ridge), bringing also a new platform w/ ddr4. The increase of memory bandwidth should definitely help the gpu part.

Comment

Working...
                    X