Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Is Dropping The KDE 4 Desktop

Phoronix: Arch Linux Is Dropping The KDE 4 Desktop

Arch Linux developers have begun phasing out the KDE 4 desktop and automatically upgrading users to KDE Plasma 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix says:

automatically upgrading users to KDE Plasma 5.
    But the Arch Linux announcement Phoronix links says:

KDE 4 installations will not be automatically upgraded to Plasma 5.
    I just manually upgraded my KDE on Arch Linux. It was indeed not automatically upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by Thue View Post
      Phoronix says:

But the Arch Linux announcement Phoronix links says:

I just manually upgraded my KDE on Arch Linux. It was indeed not automatically upgraded.
      Whoops, fixed, thanks. Simply misread it with it being my first article of the day before coffee.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I must say my experiences with KDE4 were extremely unsatisfactory, I could not use that DE, it was too sluggish, maybe I should give KDE5 a shot, but I'm thinking I probably won't really like KDE until it's been ported to wayland.

Comment

That's great

Comment

Well, I've had better luck transitioning people from windows to kde4 than to gnome or xfce. I still think kde4 needs more love. It's not complete yet. It still has a lot of bugs and there are UI elements that still need redesigned.

I don't think kde5 will be as successful in transitioning windows users as kde4 was, so I hope that kde4 stick around and continues getting improved.

Comment

Is this KDE 4 yet?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Well, I've had better luck transitioning people from windows to kde4 than to gnome or xfce. I still think kde4 needs more love. It's not complete yet. It still has a lot of bugs and there are UI elements that still need redesigned.

I don't think kde5 will be as successful in transitioning windows users as kde4 was, so I hope that kde4 stick around and continues getting improved.
                Quadinity

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Uh... why? The ONLY good reason to stick with KDE4 is because of less package dependencies. Otherwise, sticking with it has no benefit whatsoever.

Comment

I don't agree with that at all. If you number of package dependencies is your concern then kde4 is the last desktop you should be looking at. I've seen with my own eyes windows users get on kde4 for the first time ever and have no problems with it at all. That's a -very- good reason all by itself to stick with kde4.

Comment

Working...
                    X