Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Way Budget SSD Disk Benchmarks On EXT4 Linux

Phoronix: 8-Way Budget SSD Disk Benchmarks On EXT4 Linux

If you are thinking of buying a low-capacity, affordable solid-state drive (SSD) as a stocking stuffer this holiday season or just looking for a new SSD without breaking the bank, here are benchmarks from eight different low-cost solid-state drives done on Ubuntu Linux with the EXT4 file-system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The colors are all messed up, what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      The colors are all messed up, what happened?
      Just a coloring bug in pts_Graph from new PTS 6.0 feature. It was seeing Intel string and normally when it sees Intel it prepares to color-code for comparison against AMD / possibly NVIDIA, but this case wasn't handled for where only one vendor is matched from all results, so ended up carrying through the coloring past Intel. Anyhow, long story short, bug was fixed but hadn't committed the coloring change to OB.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank you Michael! Was looking for a decent budget SSD for that article we talked about. Looks like another Evo is in my future
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I suppose I could take Transcend 256GB SSD any day, but I might want to wait for a 1TB SSD when it comes down to $200-$250.

Besides, I would dedicate 120GB for my boot/OS drive. Looking at my Linux home server, I am only using 5.4GB out of 110GB (120GB SSD) for root partition. 64GB won't be any cheaper than 120GB SSD. By then 120GB SSD may not be any cheaper compared to 250GB SSD.
          Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 12 December 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Great idea for an article! Costs have come down so far, it is a no brainer nowadays to go ssd. Prices about half of what you paid 2 years ago for similar stuff. Look at camel camel camel for the best time/price to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by user98273498723 View Post
              Great idea for an article! Costs have come down so far, it is a no brainer nowadays to go ssd. Prices about half of what you paid 2 years ago for similar stuff. Look at camel camel camel for the best time/price to buy.
              ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

... ?
                Exactly my thinking, when I wasn't having a chuckle!

Aside, bang for buck that Silicon Power drive seems to hold its own until the PostgreSQL test, which may or may not be important depending on your tasks. Being a likely candidate for a server system drive, I daresay it'd probably be fairly important however.

Thanks for the article, Mike.
                Hi

Comment

Unfortunately, 4K seq results from fio are completely useless. If you're interested in measuring something that could be mildly relevant in the real world, make sure to either use a larger block size (both GNU cp and cat default to 128K blocksize these days, for example), or use a random read pattern.

Comment

Working...
                  X