Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Adds GCC 5 Compiler Packages

Phoronix: Haiku OS Adds GCC 5 Compiler Packages

It's been a while since last having anything to report on with Haiku OS, the BeOS inspired open-source operating system. One minor advancement to mention today is they have just landed optional GCC5 compiler support packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been a while since I've heard anything from that camp. To this day, I still don't completely understand the details behind the project. I get the origins and I know their goal. I just don't understand the process they're taking to get there. What the point is of anything they're doing.
    Last edited by tigerroast; 19 December 2015, 02:11 AM.

Comment

The project would probably garner more support if

1. One of its main guys wasn't such an utter prick, bashing other people's projects.
      2. they broke away with backwards compatibility. The original BeOS developers never gave a hoot about backwards compatibility. They were going for cutting edge technology, not legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
        The project would probably garner more support if

1. One of its main guys wasn't such an utter prick, bashing other people's projects.
        2. they broke away with backwards compatibility. The original BeOS developers never gave a hoot about backwards compatibility. They were going for cutting edge technology, not legacy.
        I don't know anything about (1). But about (2): there are quite a few BeOS applications which cannot be modified so if you remove BeOS compatibility you just reduced the (already low) number of native applications: if Haiku can only run POSIX applications (I'm sure that eventually there will be a POSIX compatibility layer for Haiku.

As for 'getting more support', if the developer behind Blue Eyed OS (BeOS recreation over Linux) wasn't a total CENSORED, maybe actual progress would have been possible instead of rewriting everything from scratch..

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
          But about (2): there are quite a few BeOS applications which cannot be modified
          And so they are messing with ancient gcc 2.95 nobody else supports and blobbed abandonware. How smart. And why one needs this prehistoric dinosaur shit? Are there no programs left on planet, or what? Go fucking compile/port some modern apps, no? Nobody in sane mind uses apps from these times, not even in windows, even microsoft dared to get rid of ancient 16-bit win16 & dos code in recent Windows versions. Fsck software necromancy.

Though if Haiku OS devs want to showcase us a noteworthy example of EPIC FAIL in project management, they are on right track: they clearly lack resources yet still wasting time on some really dead & worthless garbage you can't even legally buy these days, because nobody is going to sell you this dinosaur shit in first place. Though Haiku still fails to beat ReactOS in EPIC FAIL competition: as far as I know, at least some Haiku devs are actually using their stuff for their desktops. As example of ReactOS shows, you can fail even harder, with no devs daring to use their OS at all. But still, very good entry in EPIC FAIL of project management competition. They can try to get 2nd or 3rd place, any day.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post
            Been a while since I've heard anything from that camp. To this day, I still don't completely understand the details behind the project. I get the origins and I know their goal. I just don't understand the process their taking to get there. What the point is of anything they're doing.
            Writing "Yet another Operating System". Astonishing, it is still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
              And so they are messing with ancient gcc 2.95 nobody else supports and blobbed abandonware. How smart. And why one needs this prehistoric dinosaur shit? Are there no programs left on planet, or what? Go fucking compile/port some modern apps, no? Nobody in sane mind uses apps from these times, not even in windows, even microsoft dared to get rid of ancient 16-bit win16 & dos code in recent Windows versions. Fsck software necromancy.

Though if Haiku OS devs want to showcase us a noteworthy example of EPIC FAIL in project management, they are on right track: they clearly lack resources yet still wasting time on some really dead & worthless garbage you can't even legally buy these days, because nobody is going to sell you this dinosaur shit in first place. Though Haiku still fails to beat ReactOS in EPIC FAIL competition: as far as I know, at least some Haiku devs are actually using their stuff for their desktops. As example of ReactOS shows, you can fail even harder, with no devs daring to use their OS at all. But still, very good entry in EPIC FAIL of project management competition. They can try to get 2nd or 3rd place, any day.
              This is the second comment you make about non-Linux OSS project that more less limited to words EPIC and FAIL.
              I wonder, and please excuse me if I'm being blunt: Have *you* contributed anything (major) to the OSS world or is your contribution limited to trash talking other people's work @Phoronix?

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                This is the second comment you make about non-Linux OSS project that more less limited to words EPIC and FAIL.
                I wonder, and please excuse me if I'm being blunt: Have *you* contributed anything (major) to the OSS world or is your contribution limited to trash talking other people's work @Phoronix?

- Gilboa
                This logic is invalid in first place. According to your logic, you can't tell food taste is crap unless you're chief. Don't you think it does not works this way and your logic just looks incredibly silly? Furthermore, I'm sorry to inform you, but QAs who report zillions of bugs may or may not be a good in programming. It really depends. That's how things are REALLY working in this world.

But if you care: I sometimes contribute to projects which I need or want, because it is logical thing to do. Not sure if it counts major or minor, I do not care. It is getting stuff done what cares, and I'm really ok with chewing on it if it helps me as well or just sounds like fun. It would evnetually save some time someone else. That's what really counts. However, you can be pretty sure: in no way I would contribute to trashbins where someone can't get rid of bones and dust like GCC 2.95. IMHO if they stick to such project management practices, they are doomed to stay toy OS forever. That's what I really meant. Yes, I consider such project management EPIC FAIL and I really do not have to be superb PM (or chief) when FAIL is as blatant as messing with GCC 2.95 even after upstream has ditched it and it stays completely unsupported.

Comment

Working...
                X