Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS 7 1511 Updates To GNOME 3.14, KDE 4.14

Phoronix: CentOS 7 1511 Updates To GNOME 3.14, KDE 4.14

CentOS 7 1511 is now available as the project's third release derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Official Centos release notes are wrong - previous KDE was 4.10 not 4.3

Comment

When I first read that RHEL7.2 was going to update Gnome / KDE to newer versions, I couldn't help but think "wow this is awesome..." then thought "wait, this is RHEL, it should be the same versions with just patches to keep everything nice and stable. Is this a sign that Redhat has finally accepted that the desktop is a 'thing' and should work toward making it better?

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        When I first read that RHEL7.2 was going to update Gnome / KDE to newer versions, I couldn't help but think "wow this is awesome..." then thought "wait, this is RHEL, it should be the same versions with just patches to keep everything nice and stable. Is this a sign that Redhat has finally accepted that the desktop is a 'thing' and should work toward making it better?
        centos users need to aware, lol

Comment

My understanding is that there are so few RHEL 7.2 desktop users, and those who want to use it needed features such as HiDPI to such an extent that it was easier to rebase on a newer release than backport the patches.

But at the same time, I don't think this fully explains it as I think even systemd was rebased to a later release.

Maybe there has been a culture change in Red Hat where they realise that for some software packages, being obsolete is not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: CentOS 7 1511 Updates To GNOME 3.14, KDE 4.14

from GNOME 3.18 to v3.14

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-1511-Released
            from GNOME 3.8

Comment

Ye olde software, so much stable, so less bugs fixed.

Comment

Working...
              X