Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ For GNOME 3.20 Gets "Gadgets"

Phoronix: GTK+ For GNOME 3.20 Gets "Gadgets"

The latest feature to be added to the GTK+ tool-kit in the path towards GNOME 3.20 is a new concept called Gadgets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boahhh! A new concept! Hear Hear! A new 30 years old concept, which was already known and heavily used inside Intuition (and later on by Magic User Interface and Reaction). Phear all new concepts by Gnome!

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
      Boahhh! A new concept! Hear Hear! A new 30 years old concept, which was already known and heavily used inside Intuition (and later on by Magic User Interface and Reaction). Phear all new concepts by Gnome!
      I'm not old enough to know about the Intuition Window Manager, so so what does that have to do with GNOME? Magic User Interface? I'm confused. I know as far back as Windows 3.1 and 95 when I was a teenager and that's about it.

Comment

Here's a far better/more detailed explanation as to what a GTK3 gadget entails.

Gadgets are 'next-generation widgets' - they combine a CSS node
        for style matching with geometry management and drawing. Each gadget
        corresponds to 'CSS box'. Compared to traditional widgets, they are more
        like building blocks - a typical GTK+ widget will have multiple gadgets,
        for example a check button has its main gadget, and sub-gadgets for
        the checkmark and the text.

Gadgets are not themselves hierarchically organized, but it is common
        to have a 'main' gadget, which gets used by the widgets size_allocate,
        get_preferred_width, etc. and draw callbacks, and which in turn calls out
        to the sub-gadgets. This call tree might extend further if there are
        sub-sub-gadgets that a allocated relative to sub-gadgets. In typical
        situations, the callback chain will reflect the tree structure of the
        gadgets CSS nodes.

Geometry management - Gadgets implement much of the CSS box model for you:
        margins, border, padding, shadows, min-width/height are all applied automatically.

Drawing - Gadgets implement standardized CSS drawing for you: background,
        shadows and border are drawn before any custom drawing, and the focus outline
        is (optionally) drawn afterwards.

Invalidation - Gadgets sit 'between' widgets and CSS nodes, and connect
        to the nodes ::style-changed signal and trigger appropriate invalidations
        on the widget side.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          I'm not old enough to know about the Intuition Window Manager, so so what does that have to do with GNOME? Magic User Interface? I'm confused. I know as far back as Windows 3.1 and 95 when I was a teenager and that's about it.
          Don't worry, you missed nothing and these aren't a new spin on an old concept.

Comment

Yep. Completely different. But why educate oneself when you can just spew BS, as Candy is so valiantly ready to prove?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
              Yep. Completely different.
              Is it so much differently ? 30 years ago there wasn't CSS3 but some of the stuff you mentioned earlier in the bigger quote seem to be quite similar:

1) Geometry management and positioning
              2) Widgets can contain mutiple Gadgets such as a check mark button that has the check mark gadget and a text laben besides it
              3) Standardized drawing for gadgets to give a unified look

Sure Intuition is 30 years old but had that Widget vs. Gadget mentality as well. As said, there was no CSS3 during that time. But the metaphor, as I understood it, still matches. I invite you to read more about that within' the link that I provide.

Comment

They should just cut to the chase and switch to FirefoxOS.

(Edit: i.e. Restrict GTK+ itself to strictly implementing just what's needed by Firefox, and rewrite Gnome as a webapp, ala FirefoxOS)
                Last edited by hubick; 15 December 2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Candy if you look at the commit, you'll see that they never say it's a brand new concept that only GTK devs have ever thought of. No, it's simply a concept that have been integrated into GTK: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/co...e0d2f05fc69e0f
                  It's simply an abstraction between a widget and a CSS node.

But I assume that the true nature of your comment was to say that you don't like GNOME, don't worry, we got that...

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                    Is it so much differently ? 30 years ago there wasn't CSS3 but some of the stuff you mentioned earlier in the bigger quote seem to be quite similar:

1) Geometry management and positioning
                    2) Widgets can contain mutiple Gadgets such as a check mark button that has the check mark gadget and a text laben besides it
                    3) Standardized drawing for gadgets to give a unified look

Sure Intuition is 30 years old but had that Widget vs. Gadget mentality as well. As said, there was no CSS3 during that time. But the metaphor, as I understood it, still matches. I invite you to read more about that within' the link that I provide.
                    I take it you have never written a GTK+ 3.18 application, have you? How about modifying themes via means of CSS3? Plus, I don't think you are following the latest developments in GNOME/GTK.

Comment

Working...
                    X