Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running OpenGL 4.1, DRI3 With Mesa Git On An AMD Cayman GPU

Phoronix: Running OpenGL 4.1, DRI3 With Mesa Git On An AMD Cayman GPU

As of earlier this month in Mesa Git is finally OpenGL 4.0 and 4.1 support for the Radeon R600g driver for pre-GCN hardware, albeit the subset capable of advertising GL4 compliance is right now just Cypress and Cayman. I took this opportunity to run some fresh Mesa Git benchmarks on an AMD Cayman GPU and a third run when enabling DRI3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, any chance to make quick benchmark this GPU also with latest Catalyst Criomson + Mesa + DRI3? I know, Crimson not support it officialy but if you use .deb pack you can simply install it without any issues on HD5000 and HD6000 and it works only xorg is not generated so you need use old from catalyst 15.9 or generate manually.

Comment

I wonder if this Mesa-Cayman combo is able to run The Talos Principle using OGL4. When I try the same thing using the Barts, it fails to set display mode and complains about lack of support for some kind of half-float color mode, which doesn't sound like the missing fp64 double precision support. (The game runs fine using OGL3, only the performance suffers terribly.) Anyone tried this or can anyone comment on this half-float thing?

Comment

Michael, could you please run L4D2 benchmarks on RadeonSI? I'm getting pretty bad framerates, especially regarding framerate drops (to like 5-10 fps), where it's unplayable for a couple of seconds. The mean framerate is pretty decent, but it really drops everytime a bunch of Zombies are coming at us.

Comment

Azpegath you'll have to kill the zombies quicker

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Michael, could you please run L4D2 benchmarks on RadeonSI? I'm getting pretty bad framerates, especially regarding framerate drops (to like 5-10 fps), where it's unplayable for a couple of seconds. The mean framerate is pretty decent, but it really drops everytime a bunch of Zombies are coming at us.
            Last I knew there were some automation bugs around being able to properly benchmark L4D2.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Last I knew there were some automation bugs around being able to properly benchmark L4D2.
              Can you use your magic on the Valve developers and make them fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Can you use your magic on the Valve developers and make them fix it?
                If I had more time in a day... Have a long list still of changes I'd like to see in Steam / certain games but no time to communicate, follow up, test, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  I wonder if this Mesa-Cayman combo is able to run The Talos Principle using OGL4. When I try the same thing using the Barts, it fails to set display mode and complains about lack of support for some kind of half-float color mode, which doesn't sound like the missing fp64 double precision support. (The game runs fine using OGL3, only the performance suffers terribly.) Anyone tried this or can anyone comment on this half-float thing?
                  I downloaded the demo to test but i can't find how to start it in different OGL modes and i have no idea if it's in OGL4 or OGL3.

Comment

Tried to enable DRI3 on my HD6850 and when it boots I get a corrupted screen and Cinnamon crashes. This is with Mint 17.3 using Oibaf PPA. Does DRI3 work for HD5000/6000 owners?

Comment

Working...
                    X