KDE Plasma 5 Desktop Will Enter FreeBSD "When It's Stable & Usable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5 Desktop Will Enter FreeBSD "When It's Stable & Usable"

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5 Desktop Will Enter FreeBSD "When It's Stable & Usable"

While many Linux distributions are in the process of stopping to support the KDE Plasma 4 desktop, FreeBSD isn't yet ready to make the move to the "KDE 5" packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Packaging is a mess indeed. Please get rid of the old kde4 cruft ASAP.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

"When It's Stable & Usable"
      So not in near future.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
        "When It's Stable & Usable"
        So not in near future.
        Well, it's usable right now, I'm using it every day.
        But the whole experience is seriously lacking, even when it works.

Comment

Wait a minute. How can it possibly be "usable" when you just said that "the whole experience is seriously lacking, EVEN WHEN IT WORKS ?

Comment

I always used kde since the 1st fedora, 3 days ago I swithed to gnome, nothing is working on kde5 : Opening the application menu it take 3-4 clicks before it actually respond, lot of apps doesn't launch at all, I had to launch dolphin in Konsole, since 3 day even Konsole refuse to launch when clicking on the icon. It sad because because I don't like gnome but at least it works

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Wait a minute. How can it possibly be "usable" when you just said that "the whole experience is seriously lacking, EVEN WHEN IT WORKS ?
              Usable does not imply good, it simply indicates that it has the necessary capabilities required to be used. as an easy example OS X has a usable interface, despite being one of the least user friendly interfaces known to man.

Originally posted by jpprade
              I always used kde since the 1st fedora, 3 days ago I swithed to gnome, nothing is working on kde5 : Opening the application menu it take 3-4 clicks before it actually respond, lot of apps doesn't launch at all, I had to launch dolphin in Konsole, since 3 day even Konsole refuse to launch when clicking on the icon. It sad because because I don't like gnome but at least it works
              gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8

but more seriously... could you perhaps try a little harder, you're such an obvious troll that the three blind mice could see it.

Comment

To do some works I have a virtual machine that has Kubuntu 15.10 installed, it has some minor glitches, but of course, opening the application menu takes only one click, it responds, the apps that I use (Kate, Konsole, Krusader, Okular, etc.) are launched without problems, etc.

Comment

Do not risk attaching external monitors or suspend your notebook... ;-)

For real: if you use a mobile computer with suspending and rely on external monitors (directly connected or at docking stations), just wait with the update. I never had a more messed up (processes *cough*akonadistuff*cough* keep running when logging out and preventing further usage of certain subsystems like KDEPIM, many problems in the applications themselves or the display of the plasmashell, failed locking of your desktop, not waking up most of the times, ...) and crashing desktop (plasmashell, ksmserver, kwin... all have their share *g*).

Just as a disclaimer: I qualify as a KDE fanboy and will continue using it, reporting bugs and hoping for the best. And most of the devs like Martin Gräßlin are responsive to bug reports which is the most important thing! So the direction is nice - it's also the most attractive desktop I've ever used (when it's running :-p ), it's just too early for everyday use for some use cases. I just had to switch as Archlinux is phasing out KDE4 support.

Comment

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
                    Do not risk attaching external monitors or suspend your notebook... ;-)

For real: if you use a mobile computer with suspending and rely on external monitors (directly connected or at docking stations), just wait with the update. I never had a more messed up (processes *cough*akonadistuff*cough* keep running when logging out and preventing further usage of certain subsystems like KDEPIM, many problems in the applications themselves or the display of the plasmashell, failed locking of your desktop, not waking up most of the times, ...) and crashing desktop (plasmashell, ksmserver, kwin... all have their share *g*).

Just as a disclaimer: I qualify as a KDE fanboy and will continue using it, reporting bugs and hoping for the best. And most of the devs like Martin Gräßlin are responsive to bug reports which is the most important thing! So the direction is nice - it's also the most attractive desktop I've ever used (when it's running :-p ), it's just too early for everyday use for some use cases. I just had to switch as Archlinux is phasing out KDE4 support.
                    You can wait for update forever, it's been five major releases and this shit is still happening. KScreen cannot restore my multidisplay configuration on reboot, I try to fix it manually, doesn't work, plasma crashes, kwin crashes, WTF?!

I would choose KDE over any DE in any situation, but right now I'm using retarded GNOME, at least no crashes.

Comment

Working...
                    X