Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does SELinux Have Much Of A Performance Impact On Fedora 23?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does SELinux Have Much Of A Performance Impact On Fedora 23?

Phoronix: Does SELinux Have Much Of A Performance Impact On Fedora 23?

Going back many years, SELinux would receive much criticism over slowing down the system's performance and causing an assortment of other problems. In the early days of Fedora it would often be wise to disable Security Enhanced Linux, but in the past few years it's been in good shape. With modern hardware, is there much of a performance impact in keeping SELinux enabled?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, what about AppArmor performance impact?

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
      Michael, what about AppArmor performance impact?
      Last time I ran AppArmor tests, barely any impact either.... Could run some fresh ones if there's enough interest from readers, but first need to see how many comments and traffic this article gets for rather boring results with barely any change and the AppArmor results still likely to be that way.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

When disabling security checks yields slower code... you have to wonder what's broken about it in the first place.

Comment

I ran with SELinux enabled for about 8 years on multiple systems. I investigated every audit, wrote policies for local implementations as needed. In that time I realized that not one single event had been triggered by an actual problem. From that I concluded that our security policies were sufficiently effective, and disabled SELinux on all systems (except Android). The performance impact wasn't in the computing systems, it was in the human cost of administration.

Comment

Thanks!

Nice that it's quantified now.
            Now we know :-)

Comment

Selinux was written by the NSA. I do not trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                Thanks!

Nice that it's quantified now.
                Now we know :-)
                It's been quantified for 6+ years.... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._selinux&num=1
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                  Are you saying it's Not Safe Anymore? :P

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                    And it's been vetted, examined, audited, twisted and turned in every way imaginable for over a decade.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X