Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 2.5 Released With The VirtIO GPU 3D Support

Phoronix: QEMU 2.5 Released With The VirtIO GPU 3D Support

QEMU 2.5 has been officially released today as the newest feature release to this critical component to the open-source Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! When can we see some performance metrics of a VM running VirtIO?

Comment

Anyone know how you can build this with virtio-gpu 3D support? Where can I get virglrenderer, and what platforms does it support?

If it works on Windows, this would be a great portable Linux emulator to carry around on a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by spiff View Post
        If it works on Windows
        Not yet, and probably it will never do.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Do you have any statements on this or is it guessing on more or less strong facts?
          I don't assume to guess the position of RedHat on this. And if I'm not mistaken, RH pays the two main contributors for this feature

Comment

Originally posted by Revan View Post
            Awesome! When can we see some performance metrics of a VM running VirtIO?
            This is the first release. The point is not to give you the best performance, but rather to let people start using it, to report and help with bugs etc. That said, there are some obvious bottleneck that should be fixed in the future. In general, if you want the best performance, I'd not look at virgl.

Comment

There are certainly ways to make this work with Windows guests, like reusing the dx state trackers from mesa etc. (It may not be the best place to look for Windows devs here..

Comment

there is absolutely no ground for your claim
                - anyone could write galium driver for guests. and as far as things as directx go, you could always take Wine translation layer as base in order to remove OpenGL only deficiency. once DirectX is done over OpenGL nothing stops this. it would be limited to DX9 though
                - RH always provided VirtIO windows guest drivers

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  there is absolutely no ground for your claim
                  A developer (I don't remember if it was Airled or someone else) stated that nobody is currently working on it or expressed any interest in this regard. He also said that even reusing the D3D9 state tracker we are still VERY far from a windows driver. Not talking about DX9 being useless in windows > XP because it uses DX10/11 for compositing.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I just found this:
                    Future scope
                    Windows guest, Direct3D drivers.

So presumably nobody is working on it, but they think it might be done.

Comment

Working...
                    X