Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Fighter V Is Being Ported To SteamOS / Linux

Phoronix: Street Fighter V Is Being Ported To SteamOS / Linux

Capcom in cooperation with Valve will be bringing Street Fighter V to SteamOS (Linux)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yay, a high quality fighting game on linux

Comment

Skullgirls isn't too bad either - but it's quite complex with all those special moves - and probably only really viable with a gamepad:

--Main Stage Game at Evo 2022!-- The ultimate Skullgirls experience: Featuring 14 hand-animated characters, fully voiced story mode, countless palettes, and unparalleled GGPO-based multiplayer netcode.

Comment

I wonder what took so long, i mean, Capcom has this kind of games on Arcade Machines, and i highly doubt they run a full blown PS4, or Windows PC inside an arcade. I am under the assumption that Arcade machines run a small powefull enough computer to run a strip down version of linux and the game. (i could be wrong)

Comment

I hope the will offer a non Steam version too
          I don't like the vendor lock-ing that Valve is trying to do

Comment

Cool i have all 3 consoles, so no worries

I guess OS X and XBox 1 users cry now

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. With the censorship going on with this game, not sure that I'm interested. It's the principle of the matter that gets to me, and I don't want to support censorship with my wallet. However, maybe they'll back down on the censorship and then I'll definitely get it.

I have an expensive stick for fighting games made of arcade parts that I'd be able to use for this game, however.

I really wish we'd get Street Fighter 3 online edition for Linux... I think the 2D street fighters play much better than the 3D ones (I think the best are Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting and 3s). I thought Street Fighter 4 was awful (all versions), but from what I've heard, SFV sounds like it plays much better so we'll see.

Comment

It's a shame Street Fighter IV was running on Taito hardware rather than Sega (Sega used Linux) but this is Fantastic news! I'm definitely ordering a copy of V.

For those who are interested MOST arcade systems these days are either Linux based or Windows embedded. They run a full OS stack including networking/graphics/sound, but they try to minimise the boot sequence to boot straight into the game. There's even a wrapper that's been released to run some Linux native Arcade titles on Linux white boxes.
                See: https://github.com/JayFoxRox/Lindbergh-Emulator

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  It's a shame Street Fighter IV was running on Taito hardware rather than Sega (Sega used Linux) but this is Fantastic news! I'm definitely ordering a copy of V.

For those who are interested MOST arcade systems these days are either Linux based or Windows embedded. They run a full OS stack including networking/graphics/sound, but they try to minimise the boot sequence to boot straight into the game. There's even a wrapper that's been released to run some Linux native Arcade titles on Linux white boxes.
                  See: https://github.com/JayFoxRox/Lindbergh-Emulator
                  Do you have any links for info on Sega's Linux stuff, or other Linux based arcade machines? I'll like to learn more.
                  edit: Found that Sega's new stuff runs Windows. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rds#RingEdge_2
                  Last edited by SyXbiT; 17 December 2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Good news, hopefully this will be the de facto standard for all future games using these multiplatform engines. They can't complain too much about porting costs.

Comment

Working...
                    X