A Quick Test Of The TF2 Update When Using The AMD Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Test Of The TF2 Update When Using The AMD Proprietary Driver

Phoronix: A Quick Test Of The TF2 Update When Using The AMD Proprietary Driver

Yesterday Valve released a big update to Team Fortress 2 that brought renderer improvements for OS X and Linux gamers. However, how does it affect the performance of this popular free-to-play game?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GOG Galaxy list update rollbacks as supported feature. So maybe time to experiment a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
      GOG Galaxy list update rollbacks as supported feature. So maybe time to experiment a bit?
      Likely not worthwhile.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I guess It's fine if the framerate is stable and the hardware is capable enough to handle the game at 100FPS @4K resolution, right ?

Comment

The scaling seems odd considering 4k is only around 10% slower than 1080p. Sounds like the graphics card isn't the bottleneck as I would expect a much larger drop off in performance with it pushing 4x the number of pixels.

Comment

Well... Valve also broked CSGO with December 17 update.... Game crash after 10 min. Maybe it's related since they share the same engine..

Comment

The big problem with TF2 with the proprietary driver wasn't the framerate... it was the fact that it would hang for a very long time on startup with one CPU core at 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                The scaling seems odd considering 4k is only around 10% slower than 1080p. Sounds like the graphics card isn't the bottleneck as I would expect a much larger drop off in performance with it pushing 4x the number of pixels.
                Yeah, it's pretty easy to show too. Just compare power draw when running an benchamrk in windows vs the same benchmark in linux and it's obvious the GPU gets loaded heavier in windows. I see the same behavior in both the OSS driver and the llinux Catalyst driver, so it seems the bottleneck, whatever it is, is implemented either in hardware or firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                  Well... Valve also broked CSGO with December 17 update.... Game crash after 10 min. Maybe it's related since they share the same engine..
                  So it is confirmed? I was already running a memtest to check hw related problems. :/

Comment

I keep getting segfaults in CS:GO around the 15-30 minute mark. Sometimes much later on in the game, it can be quite random at times. It happens in any game mode and almost always during a game. Al...

csgo_linux[6913]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000efe38c27 sp 00000000ff993f38 error 4 in vphysics_client.so[efd5b000+1b4000] A lot of times it also segfaults when the maps switch, but I didnt check to se...

Comment

Working...
                    X