Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Is Saved By A Fresh Round Of Funding

Phoronix: Jolla Is Saved By A Fresh Round Of Funding

Last month Jolla was in very dire shape with having to go through debt restructuring and major layoffs at the company after their latest round of financing had collapsed. Fortunately, they've received a fresh round of funding to keep the company alive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic news!

Comment

Now if only their Tablets can go back in stock and they can provide some kind of assurance as to the eventual open source nature they promised I'm game.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        Fantastic news!
        I wanted to say the same thing

Comment

So are they planning to ship the old tablet tech or upgrade SoC and OS before shipping? Isn't the tablet already quite old?

Comment

Summarizing a very interesting community meeting and a later press release by Jolla. Antti Saarnio, Head of Jolla, shares positive news on Jolla's financial situation. Juhani Lassila, Head of Communication, shares us some more details on both the meeting and the press release.

I'm curios about what jolla has for plans about privacy and security.
            There was the "Sailfish Secure" talks before with "SSH Communications Security".
            Jolla Ltd. is a cutting-edge deep Tech company from Finland born out of Nokia’s MeeGo program. Jolla’s key products are Linux-based mobile operating Sailfish OS, which is the only European mobile OS, and AppSupport, a unique solution to run Android apps on any Linux platform. %  

Comment

Wonderful. I was quite pleased with how their phone came out and the community that spawned behind it (it's sad that they're not doing that anymore, at least not without a partner). The tablet's alright, I suppose.

Even with their in-house phone plans being scrapped, I'm REALLY glad that they're focusing their efforts on the OS rather than stretching themselves thin. I reckon that was the problem when they launched their phone initially; they got overambitious, and the payoff simply wasn't enough. I'd like to see this company succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Finnish tax payers (Tekes ) have lost millions of euros to Nokia Mobile phones (symbian) and now again to jolla. Finnish company bosses are so stupid that they invent a wheel again with poor results. I was there when symbian was born in 1995. They implemented their own programming tools and did not have even a project plan. I was developing 3 months Windows smartphone at the time but nokia focused to symbian, because 10 usd was too much for a proper os in a smartphone.
                With that thinking we would live in a world with monopolies all over. "There already is a solution? Great, we use that instead of developing an alternative."
                Sure, it's also not good if everyone does their own thing and everybody is reinventing the wheel. But don't forget that Symbian focused on something different than Windows. Even today Symbian is in use because it's lightweight and can be used heavily stripped down. Symbian isn't about "Smartphones" - although it can be used for such. Windows on the other hand was always in the league of Pocket PC and I seriously can't imagine building a (dumb or feature) phone with a Windows kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Finnish tax payers (Tekes ) have lost millions of euros to Nokia Mobile phones (symbian) and now again to jolla. Finnish company bosses are so stupid that they invent a wheel again with poor results. I was there when symbian was born in 1995. They implemented their own programming tools and did not have even a project plan. I was developing 3 months Windows smartphone at the time but nokia focused to symbian, because 10 usd was too much for a proper os in a smartphone.
                  In hindsight, that was a good choice seeing how Symbian allowed Nokia to dominate the mobile market for over a decade until the iPhone came to pass. Windows Mobile? I had an HP Windows Mobile "smartphone" and I still wake up screaming at night.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

With that thinking we would live in a world with monopolies all over. "There already is a solution? Great, we use that instead of developing an alternative."
                    Sure, it's also not good if everyone does their own thing and everybody is reinventing the wheel. But don't forget that Symbian focused on something different than Windows. Even today Symbian is in use because it's lightweight and can be used heavily stripped down. Symbian isn't about "Smartphones" - although it can be used for such. Windows on the other hand was always in the league of Pocket PC and I seriously can't imagine building a (dumb or feature) phone with a Windows kernel.
                    Not to mention, that while NOKIA significantly progressed Symbian development they didn't invent it. It was originally created by Psion as EPOC32 for their ARM based PDAs. Even after Nokia adopted it, they didn't do so alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X