Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Deals On The Raspberry Pi 2 & Other ARM Boards

Phoronix: Holiday Deals On The Raspberry Pi 2 & Other ARM Boards

Our friends at Lover Pi, an Amazon-based retailer of various ARM development boards, are offering some holiday discounts for Phoronix readers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Already contributed to the Pine A64 campaign, but I'll be buying this board now!

Comment

With the discount I finally get a Pi2 for the "official" price. I couldn't pass up the power supply/switch either since a switch is a very convenient thing to have on a Kodi box.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
        With the discount I finally get a Pi2 for the "official" price. I couldn't pass up the power supply/switch either since a switch is a very convenient thing to have on a Kodi box.
        The power switch really more less a power cut off as compared to Pi Supply's Switch. I just normally leave my Kodi Pi on all the time, but uses far less power than the dedicated PC that it replaced.

My local Microcenter has had Pi 2's for the official price for months (stock varies). The PineA64 looks like a worthy challenger, hope they can deliver on time.

Comment

Where do I enter the coupon code?

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post

The power switch really more less a power cut off as compared to Pi Supply's Switch. I just normally leave my Kodi Pi on all the time, but uses far less power than the dedicated PC that it replaced.

My local Microcenter has had Pi 2's for the official price for months (stock varies). The PineA64 looks like a worthy challenger, hope they can deliver on time.
            Agreed, yes more of a power cut-off. And most of the time leaving a pi/pi2 on is fine. In this particular instance though, my brother seems to need to shut his pi/pi2 down from within Kodi. For some reason his tv-pi hdmi connection breaks when he turns off his amp/tv.

Comment

Below is the official ASIN list for the $5 discount:

B0121A5Q5U Banana Pi M2
              B018BDZJCQ Wireless Media Center Kit
              B018IN6FZE Banana Pi M3
              B018L66L9S Raspberry Pi 2 + Heatsinks
              B018W7GA2E Orange Pi Plus
              B018WDR45A ODROID C1+
              B0190MCSS0 2A Power Adapter with Power Switch
              B019DJYJ1E RetroPie Kit

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              Where do I enter the coupon code?
              You can enter the coupon code at checkout.

We should have a power over ethernet breakout cables soon that will maintain compatibility with the power switch and power adapter.

Most of the customers who have purchased our switch absolutely loved it.

Pretty much all of the items are sold for slightly below cost except for the kits.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post
                Already contributed to the Pine A64 campaign, but I'll be buying this board now!
                The problem with any A53 core is that it sucks too much power to be passively cooled or enclosed. The Allwinner A64 chip has non-existent mainline kernel support so you will be running very old versions of the kernel with Allwinner's secret sauce.

You need to wait for Cortex A35 chips before we would recommend you buy an ARMv8 single board computer. We are working with our partners to bring a Cortex-A35 board to the market in the beginning of 2017. We also want to bring a Cortex A72 board to market but the chips are still way too expensive from an unit count to licensing cost perspective. They also need to be actively cooled or they'll throttle like crazy.
                Last edited by LoveRPi; 20 December 2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post

Agreed, yes more of a power cut-off. And most of the time leaving a pi/pi2 on is fine. In this particular instance though, my brother seems to need to shut his pi/pi2 down from within Kodi. For some reason his tv-pi hdmi connection breaks when he turns off his amp/tv.
                  Maybe he could leave the amp on? Modern amps draw only about 50W when idle. It's probably less than £50 in a year?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
                    The problem with any A53 core is that it sucks too much power to be passively cooled or enclosed. The Allwinner A64 chip has non-existent mainline kernel support so you will be running very old versions of the kernel with Allwinner's secret sauce.

You need to wait for Cortex A35 chips before we would recommend you buy an ARMv8 single board computer. We are working with our partners to bring a Cortex-A35 board to the market in the beginning of 2017. We also want to bring a Cortex A72 board to market but the chips are still way too expensive from an unit count to licensing cost perspective. They also need to be actively cooled or they'll throttle like crazy.
                    If you want to build some IoT sensor nodes, there's model A+. It's really great for having it on 24/7. You could use a wifi dongle or save few extra Watts with ethernet. My house has cat6 cabling so Raspberries would be a great platform for nodes in all rooms and for each smart lamp.

Comment

Working...
                    X