Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source Linux Letdowns of 2015

Phoronix: The Open-Source / Linux Letdowns of 2015

While this year there were many great achievements in the Linux/open-source space with a ton of new innovations, exciting free software project releases, and much more (I'll have a recap of the best of 2015 in the days ahead), there were sadly many things that didn't pan out or materialize this year. Here's a look at the open-source and Linux letdowns of 2015...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the biggest let down for me was your dreich articles - huge progress was made this year for all of OSS, can we not celebrate that instead

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I think the biggest let down for me was your dreich articles - huge progress was made this year for all of OSS, can we not celebrate that instead
      As said in this article, the next installment is looking at all the positive stuff.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Any luck getting ads that don't lock up the web browser?

Comment

Although I donate money from time to time via bitcoins, I'd add some more via ads, if they wouldn't kill mobile browsing. On the desktop I usually disable ublock-origin for phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            There's this saying: a program that almost works is as good as a plane that almost flies.
            So while the OSS efforts are commendable (and probably herculean in some areas), it's the end result that counts. And the result just isn't here yet. Of course, I'm thinking of the AMD GPU driver or (as much as pains to say it) the Qt/KDE stack. That's what we're used to discussing here on Phoronix. But the majority of OSS is doing just fine - like Darktable (Michael just posted it in the news), GCC or the Linux kernel.

Merry Christmas

Comment

Another big let down is no real progress with getting vsync/freesync/gsync/adaptive sync working nicely or at all under Linux, the currently implementation for VSYNC often costs huge amount of FPS when enabled, and sometimes just outright doesn't work correctly at all. (for games at least).

Comment

I tried Rockstor for my media server and love it. While i am not comfortable using it in a production environment yet I do not regret moving from FreeNas (zfs) to Rockstor (btrfs). It is much easier to use and is just as stable so far (using Raid 5) and most of the features are there and easier to set up. I was going to test and play with it but don’t see my self going back to FreeNas at home as I was planning. I was confident enough to erase my backup after cleaning my collection and re-backing it up.
                Last edited by hangingwithsnoopy; 24 December 2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

For some of these items you list, you are painting them in very negative light considering they are works in progress. I don't see it as a negative if OpenGL doesn't ship u till it is right for example. Linux use to have a lot of shitty GPU drivers, the situation has gotten a lot better of late so let's not knock people for having standards.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
                    Any luck getting ads that don't lock up the web browser?
                    I'm sitting here with an iPad struggling with this very issue. Not so much locked up but rather the ads having a terrible impact on performance. However I've noticed problems from other platforms so I really think there is a design flaw in the site that is raising hell with web browsers of many different origins.

By the way I understand the need for ads, what I object to is ads that kill the browser or at the very least suck performance from it. On my Mac I've resorted to ad blocking for most web sites. Even on a newer machine it makes for a big performance difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X