Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby 2.3 Released With New Language Features

Phoronix: Ruby 2.3 Released With New Language Features

Ruby 2.3 was released for Christmas with many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These new language features seem more than useless.
    They don't really bring anything new to the table in a useful way.
    It seems what they will do is make the code less readable and something to be used by programmers who likes to think they are witty and clever.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      These new language features seem more than useless.
      They don't really bring anything new to the table in a useful way.
      It seems what they will do is make the code less readable and something to be used by programmers who likes to think they are witty and clever.
      Reminds me of this.

Comment

Example, in Python you cant do "foo++", instead you have to do "foo += 1". Because it focuses on clarity.
        In other languages like Perl there is a million ways to accomplish the same thing, and it ends up with a hard to read language which everyone codes differently and people try write clever code in by golfing and it becomes unreadable.

In JavaScript, some people try to omit the semicolons because it is technically possible to do if you are very adapt at JavaScript and knows all the corner cases and such. But then when other people may try to code the same way or edit something, then things can break in unexpected way if they are not intimately familiar with how the lexer/parser/interpreter works.

In C and other C-like languages, people who think they clever often omit curly braces around if conditionals, and it works as expected when there is one line, then other people come and edit it it behaves unexpectedly when they add in another line of code below.

In C# people often write a foreach and while loop then gets a refactor suggestion by ReSharper or a similar tool to refactor it into a long one-line LINQ expression they can't really understand.

I think that people should value clarity and write readable, comprensible code, instead of trying to be clever and impress others by showing of how they can reduce the number of characters of that line of code or use or abuse some obscure language feature.

I also think language designers should have a vision with their language, and not just aimlessly attempt to implement every single construct and feature they come across in multiple ways.

Comment

Ruby: The insanely slow interpreted language you use when you really don't want anyone to find a closure. Now it processes whitespace 1.5x faster!

Give me node. Js any day and twice on Tuesdays.

Comment

I think this thread deserves at least one post from someone who actually uses Ruby. I'm genuinely excited about several of these changes and I don't have a problem with the others.

For the record, Ruby can't do foo++ either. I don't miss it.

Comment

Working...
            X