500,000+ Benchmarks Have Been Completed In The Basement Server Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500,000+ Benchmarks Have Been Completed In The Basement Server Room

Phoronix: 500,000+ Benchmarks Have Been Completed In The Basement Server Room

Within the basement server room there have now been over 500,000 benchmarks completed for Phoronix and LinuxBenchmarking.com...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Solid milestone, this one. I hope those half a million benchmarks have been put to good use though; as in, the odd bisect here or there, people using the data you're generating to further development of this and/or that and so forth and so on. Any hard data on that?

Comment

I got a nice bluetooth logitect keyboard today, so now I can type what I wanted to say the past few months of reading phoronix.

If my memory serves me correct, there are 50 plus servers running in the room, but not full time but using the shutdown feature to shut them off between testing days. The vampire draw on those server can really increase your electric bill. <rant> So please stop begging like a televenagest priest crying about the electric bill and invest in some power RELAYS controled by the main server or an decated embedded controller. There are many power relay banks on ebay for sale that can be wired into the server setup.</rant> Each server in stanby/off state draws from 1 to 100+ watts, with the Sony PS series being the worse of the bunch. 50 times 10-50 watts can add up to a huge electric bill.

Update:I did a quick search on ebay and found this: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...604674&alt=web
      Last edited by Techwolf; 25 December 2015, 02:09 PM. Reason: Add url to ebay listing.

Comment

Originally posted by Techwolf View Post
        I got a nice bluetooth logitect keyboard today, so now I can type what I wanted to say the past few months of reading phoronix.

If my memory serves me correct, there are 50 plus servers running in the room, but not full time but using the shutdown feature to shut them off between testing days. The vampire draw on those server can really increase your electric bill. <rant> So please stop begging like a televenagest priest crying about the electric bill and invest in some power RELAYS controled by the main server or an decated embedded controller. There are many power relay banks on ebay for sale that can be wired into the server setup.</rant> Each server in stanby/off state draws from 1 to 100+ watts, with the Sony PS series being the worse of the bunch. 50 times 10-50 watts can add up to a huge electric bill.

Update:I did a quick search on ebay and found this: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...604674&alt=web

10-50 Watts of phantom load? Are you sure? I have a strong feeling when the computer is off it may draw something on the order of mA.

Comment

500.000+ benchmarks! What a complete waste of energy and time!!

Don't get me wrong, I love your website with its many Linux news articles and *manual* benchmarking.

But I fail to see the benefit of automated benchmarking, combined with the continuous complaining about the electrical bills.
          If you shutdown the automated benchmarking farm, I will subscribe instantly as a Phoronix premium member.

Comment

Grats mates, maybe the benchmark servers can be powered by potatoe? ha.

Comment

So all those machines do is run benchmarks? Seems a bit...underutilized.

Comment

Working...
              X