Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 17.3 Now In Beta For Xfce/KDE Editions

Phoronix: Linux Mint 17.3 Now In Beta For Xfce/KDE Editions

The beta releases are out today for Linux Mint 17.3 in the Xfce and KDE desktop forms. Linux Mint 17.3 will be an Ubuntu-based LTS release supported until 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I understand people choosing Mint over Ubuntu to replace Unity, but I can't understand the point of creating XFCE or KDE forks of a distribution based on a distribution based on Ubuntu.

I'm usually the first to support options and diversity in Linux as these are two of its key strengths, but in this case XFCE and KDE distributions already exist based directly from the source distribution. Seems like the effort would have been better spent on supporting the Xubuntu and Kubuntu forks of Ubuntu rather than trying to create two new distributions with little to differentiate themselves.

Comment

I wanted to switch to mint just has that PC feeling to it, biggest downside to 17.3 is that its using 14.04 repos and sticking with kernel 3.19.. I'd rather stick with Wily repo's and get the benefits of 4.x kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by BEZZiiE View Post
        I wanted to switch to mint just has that PC feeling to it, biggest downside to 17.3 is that its using 14.04 repos and sticking with kernel 3.19.. I'd rather stick with Wily repo's and get the benefits of 4.x kernel.
        Well you can upgrade the kernel easily in Mint. Go to update manager and then View and then Linux Kernels. The latest kernel is 4.2,0-22. Really easy to upgrade. But yea, why are the Mint people continuing to use 14.04 when 15.04 has been out for over a year. I'd figure by now they'd either upgrade to 15.04 or switch over to to Debian and dump Ubuntu all together, cause they do have a Debian version of Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Well you can upgrade the kernel easily in Mint. Go to update manager and then View and then Linux Kernels. The latest kernel is 4.2,0-22. Really easy to upgrade. But yea, why are the Mint people continuing to use 14.04 when 15.04 has been out for over a year. I'd figure by now they'd either upgrade to 15.04 or switch over to to Debian and dump Ubuntu all together, cause they do have a Debian version of Mint.
          Mint team decided to stick with LTS code base for next 2 years, when mint 17 were released.

Mint 18 will be build on ubuntu 16.04 LTS code base, not known yet will it be the backbone to mint for next 2 years...

Comment

Yeah, and it is a good move, too. Clem an Co could pump out more useful code on a solid base and now that they have, can possibly reconsider doing a 6monthly rebase instead of the incremental although, they may still have a bunch of stuff up their sleeve. I haven't been paying to much attention. I'm just enjoying using the 17.3+4.4 kernel for now as I'm not desperate to jump back on KDE5 just yet. Works very well (and the 4.4 kernel actually allowed my mother laptop's crappy little 16MB graphics useful again. Completety missed where that got fixed up).
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by BEZZiiE View Post

I am using Liquorix kernel: 4.2-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 but they already have 4.3.3 please check this link: http://liquorix.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                I understand people choosing Mint over Ubuntu to replace Unity, but I can't understand the point of creating XFCE or KDE forks of a distribution based on a distribution based on Ubuntu.
                In previous years, Mint Xfce and Xubuntu were quite different experiences out-of-the-box, but the gap has been closing lately. The default desktop theme, menu (Mint Menu, Whisker Menu, etc) and taskbar position were minor details that could be easily tweaked after the install. The Mint Xfce edition prided itself on a better selection of installed software compared to Xubuntu: LibreOffice, Mint tools, etc. Xubuntu originally aimed for lightweight GTK apps like Abiword and GNUmeric, but they've now embraced a partial install of LibreOffice.

I still think Mint Xfce is worth maintaining, if only to get the Mint Tools installed with the rest of the OS (it happens to be the OS I use daily!) If the Mint project is hurting for manpower I suppose they could drop the Xfce edition and simply point Xubuntu users to the repositories for the Mint Tools.

Comment

Working...
                X