Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 1.0 Released, Powered By GTK Budgie Desktop

Phoronix: Solus 1.0 Released, Powered By GTK Budgie Desktop

The Solus 1.0 release didn't happen on Christmas as originally planned, but nevertheless it's available this morning for its premiere release and formal introduction of its own desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very, very nice. I'm downloading the ISO right now to test it in a VirtualBox. If there's an applet that I wish to have, it's the global menu. This would require appmenu-qt and appmenu-gtk, but that's no big deal for me.

But then I'm currently using Cinnamon desktop that does that for me, although I've had to download a global menu applet from the Internet. If I could have Raven notification/control center in a Cinnamon desktop, that would be nice. Alas, some of the system settings may be specific only to Budgie, which I don't mind at all.

I won't be switching away from Arch Linux, though.

Comment

Okay. A couple of points I would like to mention:

I don't think the installer asks me to choose a language and keyboard layout, which is fine for me, but may not be for others who use a different keyboard layout.

The installer asks me which drive I want to install Solus 1.0 and then it asks me to choose which partition to install it in. I click in "Launch Partition Editor" to create a partition table and it does not let me specify mount points. Just primary/logical, partition size, and file system. Once applied and closed, I see only 2 buttons aside from "Launch Partition Editor." I can assign a root partition and swap partition, but note that I did not create a swap partition and it did not show me a warning for that. I want to assign a home partition, but I don't see a button for that. Only root and swap. That's it. Root and swap.

It asked me to assign a computer name for it, so I entered "solus-vm." The checkbox for installing a bootloader isn't checked, so I checked it and it will install to /dev/sda. I then come to a summary and clicked "Install." It took me a while for Solus 1.0 to install to my VBox hard drive, but once done, the title still says "Installing" and it tells me to close the window to exit the installer and restart my VM, so I did just that. Note that the next and previous buttons are grayed out, so I just have to click the "X" button in the upper right corner.

"Hmm...," I thought.

The live system did not tell me to remove the disc and I still got the "Install" icon in the top taskbar. I force unmounted the ISO and reset the VM.

Once started from the VM hard drive, Solus showed me the welcome page asking me to choose a language. It then took me to the privacy settings, time zone, choose a username, asks me for a password in the next screen, and I'm all set. So it feels like Solus 1.0 pre-installed when a computer user buys a new PC.

Why wouldn't an installer let me assign a home partition is beyond me, though. I wouldn't find myself setting up a 992GB root partitiion and an 8GB swap partition in a 1TB hard drive (that is based on 1000GB instead of 1024GB just to simplify things). A 20GB root partition is good enough for just an OS. This will take some work to erase a user directory from the home directory as root, create a mount point for the home directory, add the home partition to /etc/fstab, reboot the system, and try to login from there.

I check into the notification center and I get a low disk space in Filesystem root. The installer did not tell me how much disk space is required it seems. I will have to look it over and see if I'm missing something. It's nice that there's a notification center in the sidebar and that's something I would appreciate having it in Cinnamon desktop.

Anyway, there's not that much to say about the desktop environment for now. I might delete the 8GB virtual hard drive and go for 16GB instead.

Comment

GraysonPeddie I tried using qemu, but every UI animations needing 3D accelerations was slow as hell. Do you have that too, or do you have a hack for that? Thx

Comment

This article totally explains what the hell Solus is, are users obliged to click links to understand what application you writing article about does?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            GraysonPeddie I tried using qemu, but every UI animations needing 3D accelerations was slow as hell. Do you have that too, or do you have a hack for that? Thx
            I use VirtualBox, which I recommend, as it allows me to enable 3D acceleration and set the video memory to 128MB.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              I use VirtualBox, which I recommend, as it allows me to enable 3D acceleration and set the video memory to 128MB.
              Thanks!

I tried VirtualBox, but on Fedora 23, I need a kernel module that is apparently only compatible with the 4.2.3 kernel and I have the kernel 4.2.6...

Well it seems that the next version of qemu will integrate 3D acceleration, so I suppose it will solve my problems... just need to wait 6 months

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

Thanks!

I tried VirtualBox, but on Fedora 23, I need a kernel module that is apparently only compatible with the 4.2.3 kernel and I have the kernel 4.2.6...

Well it seems that the next version of qemu will integrate 3D acceleration, so I suppose it will solve my problems... just need to wait 6 months
                You can download kernel 4.2.3 from here:
                http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/...23.x86_64.html

You will probably need to download kernel modules to satisfy the requirements.

And what is with the hard dependency on kernel 4.2.3? It should just depend on 4.2 and not minor versions such as .3 and .6.

Comment

1. I have deleted 8GB and created a 16GB virtual hard drive so I can have more space.
                  2. I did the installation procedure by installing Solus 1.0.
                  3. Before I restart my VM and boot from the virtual hard drive, I went into the terminal.
                  4. From there, I mounted /dev/sda1 as /mnt.
                  5. bind /dev as /mnt/dev by using the mount command
                  6. get the UUID using ls -l /mnt/dev/disk/by-uuid.
                  7. copied the UUID into /mnt/etc/fstab
                  8. assigned a mount point of /home
                  9. unmount everything from /mnt, including /mnt/dev
                  10. I then restarted my VM.

Everything is working from there.

Solus has got a long way to go to improve the installation process.

Comment

As a practical matter, that's the only way I ever mount my working home partition anyway. The way I see it, the fewer partitions an Installer knows about, the fewer it can reformat behind my back. If all Solus knows from is swap and root, that's fine by me.

Comment

Working...
                    X