Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Blocks Linux Game Port From Happening

Phoronix: Microsoft Blocks Linux Game Port From Happening

Microsoft has blocked a Linux game port from happening over their publishing deal with a studio...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This isn't surprising or shocking at all. They publish the game, they pay for its development, they decide which platforms it should run on. Besides platforms that are way more popular with gamers, such as Android or Playstation 4 aren't supported either.
    Last edited by mememe; 31 December 2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Alright, the headline seems a bit sensationalist, as this is not anti-Linux activity by Microsoft, but simply a deal to prevent publishing on non-Microsoft platforms, such as the PS4 or OSX. I doubt Microsoft was especially thinking about Linux when offering them this publishing deal.

Comment

"Ori is powered by the Unity Engine" - then good that it isn't getting a linux port. Frankly i'm kinda tired of all the mediocre unity games for linux.

Comment

Stop spreading this FUD! Those are the usual business contracts and blabla. Microsoft loves Linux, you know. It's Oracle and Canonical the real enemies, they're hurting Linux growth.

Comment

Originally posted by roboman2444 View Post
            "Ori is powered by the Unity Engine" - then good that it isn't getting a linux port. Frankly i'm kinda tired of all the mediocre unity games for linux.
            Not every Unity game is crap though. What's that old saying: "A bad workman always blames his tools"? See: "Gone Home" or particularly "Layers of Fear". The former has a great story, and is an enjoyable game regardless of the engine it's running on. The latter looks and plays far better than any Unity game has a right to.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird32 View Post

Not every Unity game is crap though. What's that old saying: "A bad workman always blames his tools"? See: "Gone Home" or particularly "Layers of Fear". The former has a great story, and is an enjoyable game regardless of the engine it's running on. The latter looks and plays far better than any Unity game has a right to.
              ++

Cities Skylines was also made with Unity Engine, and its currently the best city simulator available.

Comment

They have not blocked it, they simply have not authorized it. maybe they will some day, maybe they will not. But they have not sent out a statement saying, "there shall be no linux version of this game" That would be blocking.

Comment

Actually, this is somewhat surprising. I thought we were past this because "Dust: An Elysian Tail" is a Microsoft Studios published game that is on Linux already.

Comment

Well, they've been pretty proud about getting the latest Tomb Raider (time-)exclusive for Xbone. Business as usual, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                    X