Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Pulled Back A Bit In December: 0.97%

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Pulled Back A Bit Lower In December

The Steam Survey results for December 2015 are now available and the reported Linux use remains below 1%...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did we ever get confirmation that Steam machines don't count for the survey because they're in big picture mode? Lots of speculation but never saw anything clear.

Comment

Unrelated to the article, but, please, please! do not capitalise every single word in titles, tweets or whatever place you post things. I'm not a native english speaker and even I know that! For example, the correct way of writing this article's title would be: "Steam Linux usage pulled back a bit in December: 0.97%"

You're supposed to have experience as a writer and probably a native english speaker, do not fall on those hideous bad grammar habits. I like most of your articles, but, man, don't underestimate your readers with clickbaits like "Microsoft Blocks Linux Game Port From Happening" or these silly grammar stuff.

Comment

Every word in the title really should be capitalized except for "in" and "a" if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Hmm, yesterday I checked and saw that it was 0.98%. Anyway, I wonder how many of these accounts are alts.

Comment

Inb4 butthurt crybabies desperately trying to explain why these numbers are accidentally underestimating Linux (always, only Linux) usage by at least an order of magnitude for the 50th time in a row.
            Last edited by anarki2; 02 January 2016, 12:48 AM.

Comment

To my knowledge (and admittedly, preference), you should only capitalise the first character in a sentence, except for proper nouns and other words which are generally capitalised by a more specific rule. A more detailed list of styles and rules are mentioned in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_case#Case_styles ... In my opinion, this is the most natural way of writing, easy for reading and easy to identify proper nouns in titles avoiding confusions... Capitalising every word to me looks like a silly attempt to make a title "stand out".

Comment

Originally posted by tuqueque View Post
                Unrelated to the article, but, please, please! do not capitalise every single word in titles, tweets or whatever place you post things. I'm not a native english speaker and even I know that! For example, the correct way of writing this article's title would be: "Steam Linux usage pulled back a bit in December: 0.97%"

You're supposed to have experience as a writer and probably a native english speaker, do not fall on those hideous bad grammar habits. I like most of your articles, but, man, don't underestimate your readers with clickbaits like "Microsoft Blocks Linux Game Port From Happening" or these silly grammar stuff.
                Since it is a title, he can capitalize the words and leave "is" and "in" lowercase. Examples of this are NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com) and IGN (http://www.ign.com/pc) where the article titles are uppercase in the appropriate areas. You are kinda wrong on this one, much like your usage of s instead of z in many of your words. Are you a Brit?

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

Since it is a title, he can capitalize the words and leave "is" and "in" lowercase. Examples of this are NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com) and IGN (http://www.ign.com/pc) where the article titles are uppercase in the appropriate areas. You are kinda wrong on this one, much like your usage of s instead of z in many of your words. Are you a Brit?
                  Actually, I'm from Venezuela and by no means I'm a "native" english speaker... I know that sounds like I have no right to call what's correct or not in written english, but I'm very careful when I use Spanish (my native language), English or any other language I decide to learn or use. And again, maybe at the end is a matter of preference how to write a title, but capitalizing every word to me makes no sense, it doesn't follow any intuition about writing and at the end, hurts readability.

P.S.: -ize vs -ise at the end is more or less a matter of preference. Though, I agree that -ize is more accepted and I should be more careful when using it.

P.P.S.: Sorry for hijacking the thread with this discussion... I forgot the consequences of expressing your personal opinions in Internet.

Comment

Stupid question. How came that steam is publishing a survey, if they could publish exact usage statistics. Even if they don't collect them, they should be able to tell what games have been bought for which platform, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X