Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Rawhide Continues Becoming More Reliable

Phoronix: Fedora's Rawhide Continues Becoming More Reliable

Fedora Rawhide -- the unstable, nightly grounds of Fedora Linux -- had enjoyed improvements in 2015 to ensure users of it have a better experience while more improvements are still planned for the year ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't agree at all.
    Maybe, if you stick with Gnome, the fedora experience is OK. But if you try KDE5, it's a pure nightmare: daily hangs, memory leaks, etc ...
    I also tried LxQt. There are also a lot of problems: missing entries in the main menu and certainly a lot of other problems.
    Enlightenment ? It's the same. Not possible to use the network with enlightenment because EConnman has not been packaged ...
    A Linux distribution is not restricted to Gnome + Kernel. It's also a lot of other things. And, when you look at the other things, fedora is a total mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ycollet View Post
      I don't agree at all.
      Maybe, if you stick with Gnome, the fedora experience is OK. But if you try KDE5, it's a pure nightmare: daily hangs, memory leaks, etc ...
      I also tried LxQt. There are also a lot of problems: missing entries in the main menu and certainly a lot of other problems.
      Enlightenment ? It's the same. Not possible to use the network with enlightenment because EConnman has not been packaged ...
      A Linux distribution is not restricted to Gnome + Kernel. It's also a lot of other things. And, when you look at the other things, fedora is a total mess.
      That's definitely a sticking point for me. I'm currently using a mix of LXDE and KDE and I plan to migrate at least the LXDE components to LXQt eventually. I have a lot of issues with GNOME 3's design decisions and it's bad enough that some of my applications can no longer be built to use the GTK+ 2.x Open/Save dialogs. (Some of the changes to the bookmarks sidebar really screw with my ingrained habits to the point where it's like spending 5 seconds looking for a download button that looks enough like a web ad that banner blindness kicked in.)

If I had to choose between using GNOME 3.x and running a crufty old, unmaintained distro, I think I'd pick the unmaintained distro and do my browsing by running a Firefox+Ratpoison+VirtualBox stack. (Ratpoison is a fullscreening WM)

Comment

I agree. I am currently sticked with Fedora 21. Kde was usable with Fedora 21. And everything start to failed with Fedora 22.

Comment

I don't understand why people would use Fedora + KDE. Everyone knows that since Workstation Fedora is a GNOME only distro. I migrated to Kubuntu at work, and will try OpenSUSE at home.. and will stick with one of those eventually.

Comment

I was a big fan of fedora. Everything was find until Fedora 22. Now it's a mess.
            If only fedora dev could focus a little bit on the other Windows Manager like LxQt, Enlightenment, Kde ...
            If only fedora dev could just shipped Kde4 instead of Kde5.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
              I don't understand why people would use Fedora + KDE. Everyone knows that since Workstation Fedora is a GNOME only distro. I migrated to Kubuntu at work, and will try OpenSUSE at home.. and will stick with one of those eventually.
              I've ~20 workstation w/ F22 and F23 and KDE.
              In general the experience is OK.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Personally, I think Fedora should consider dropping all graphical desktops other than GNOME. Fedora should just do one thing and one thing really well. Leave it to openSUSE for KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  Talking about unstable. Kevin Kofler already left the Fedora KDE team. Reindl Harald might be booted as well.
                  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...PG26E6HJW62WT/
                  Kevin != Reindl.
                  Fedora has a code of conduct which has nothing to do with Fedora/KDE per-say.
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Better packaging of Java Applications!

Sorry for the big bold Topic. Something that really concerns me is the way Java Applications is being packaged and bundled inside Fedora. To name it as such: I consider it quite messy!. I recall, when I tried installing Freemind (as an example) under Fedora 16 (a couple of years back). It ended up installing a rats tail of dependencies. I am not saying that the rats tail is because of Freemind depends on so many things, but rather than dependencies depend on other dependencies that again depend on other dependencies. On a bare Fedora 16 system without Java, I ended up installing 250-300mb of Java dependencies (nearly 120mb download) for just one Java Application - that - when downloaded from SourceForge - only requires 10% of said space and overall other dependencies.

The same is valid for plenty of other Java Applications that come bundled with Fedora (from that one until the current). Java really needs better packaging policy and smaller packages in general. I ended up installing Oracles Java (because of the JavaFX requirements that I have here) and downloading individual Java Applications on demand from the original download source. That way I usually end up in a fraction of space requirements compared to what Fedora want's me to install on the system.

Comment

Working...
                    X