Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Selection Support Still Being Worked On For Wayland

Phoronix: Primary Selection Support Still Being Worked On For Wayland

The Wayland primary selection protocol was published nearly one month ago and continues to be reviewed and further refined by developers. This new protocol is one of the keys to whether Fedora 24 will enable Wayland by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Scrub talking:
    One can hope for faster development.. though there is no hurry for a switch from X11 to Wayland. It's going to get some time even afterwords it's "acceptable"/stable to use Wayland in a daily use, but optimism is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      Scrub talking:
      One can hope for faster development.. though there is no hurry for a switch from X11 to Wayland. It's going to get some time even afterwords it's "acceptable"/stable to use Wayland in a daily use, but optimism is good.

well, the more people using it the better! and I think that while there is no hurry - it is better to make the switch sooner rather than later

Comment

What the hell is "primary selection protocol" and why do we care about it?

Comment

the primary selection is whenever you highlight anything and is used in X normally be pressing the middle mouse button.

I always recognise by being redirected to some random URL in firefox when you miss the link when you try to middleclick it to open in a new tab.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            What the hell is "primary selection protocol" and why do we care about it?
            I think it's the "feature" that annoys you when, for example, you copy something from Chromium, close it, open Firefox and paste doesn't work so you have to remember to not close Chromium, hence you have to remember these steps: "copy, switch to Firefox, paste, go back to Chromium, close it, and get back to Firefox", very useful Unix anti-feature.
            It also causes other small annoying issues, e.g. when you expect "paste" to paste one thing but it pastes another and then you're "err.. it pastes not from clipboard but from something else", a typical decades old anti-feature of Unix.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I think it's the "feature" that annoys you when, for example, you copy something from Chromium, close it, open Firefox and paste doesn't work so you have to remember to not close Chromium, hence you have to remember these steps: "copy, switch to Firefox, paste, go back to Chromium, close it, and get back to Firefox", very useful Unix anti-feature.
              It also causes other small annoying issues, e.g. when you expect "paste" to paste one thing but it pastes another and then you're "err.. it pastes not from clipboard but from something else", a typical decades old anti-feature of Unix.
              Yeah, left-click highlight and middle-click paste took me all of about 10 minutes to get used to and appreciate somewhere back in the 90s, but if you prefer the slower method, I'm sure that will still work.

Also, in Firefox you can easily disable the browse on paste setting, but I usually do the opposite and install an extension in chrome to allow it.
              Last edited by NateHubbard; 05 January 2016, 11:38 AM. Reason: Can't spell.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It's the primary "clipboard". The one that copies selected text and pastes it through the middle mouse button.
                If having two (well, three. But no one ever seems to do anything interesting with the secondary selection) clipboard selections bothers you, there are tools out there that will synchronise them.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

It's the primary "clipboard". The one that copies selected text and pastes it through the middle mouse button.
                  If having two (well, three. But no one ever seems to do anything interesting with the secondary selection) clipboard selections bothers you, there are tools out there that will synchronise them.
                  I think it's fine to augment Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V as people see fit. However, DON'T BREAK THE ORIGINAL FUNCTIONALITY WHILE DOING IT! Never. Ever.
                  I appreciate double click+middle click, but after years of using linux, I'm still 100% sure what I'll be pasting next.
                  SO yes, if that's what they want to fix in Wayland, by all means, take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I think it's fine to augment Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V as people see fit. However, DON'T BREAK THE ORIGINAL FUNCTIONALITY WHILE DOING IT! Never. Ever.
                    I appreciate double click+middle click, but after years of using linux, I'm still 100% sure what I'll be pasting next.
                    SO yes, if that's what they want to fix in Wayland, by all means, take your time.
                    Agreed. I often copy-paste quotes to my quote store by using Ctrl+C on the text, triple-clicking the address bar, then going into the pinned "add quote" tab and middle-clicking one field followed by Ctrl+V pasting into the other.

Aside from mouse-wheel scrolling without having to focus the widget first (which is broken in GTK+ 3.x under *buntu 14.04 LTS), it's one of the #1 things I consider to be a reason for Linux's superiority over Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X