Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Gets Tuned Up For Samsung's Exynos M1 Mongoose

Phoronix: LLVM Gets Tuned Up For Samsung's Exynos M1 Mongoose

Samsung has contributed core tuning support for their new Exynos M1 "Mongoose" core...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've once seen a developer's post explaining, that Nexus 10 was always the last Nexus to get updates due to its Exynos (not to mention no official Marshmallow for it). I have Exynos-based Odroid-XU3 at work and it has a really narrow selection of OS-es compared to - lets say - Raspberry.

I'm not saying Exynos is a bad platform (it isn't) - just its official support in open source sucks.

Comment

Samsung is a master at butchering things, even when somebody competent did all the work for them in advance. I've owned precisely one samsung "device", which actually had a good QUALCOMM SoC, yet they were able to thoroughly butcher it.

FYI The Nexus 10 was left out of Android 6 for the same reason as the Nexus 4 and 7/2012, which is AGE. Despite the Nexus 4 and 7/2013 being very similar (i.e., same SoC), the 7/2013 was released slightly after the 4, so it made the cut.

Nexus 9 is slightly slower at getting updates compared to 6/etc., on account of the nvidia trainwreck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyth0n View Post
        I have Exynos-based Odroid-XU3 at work and it has a really narrow selection of OS-es compared to - lets say - Raspberry.
        I'm not saying Exynos is a bad platform (it isn't) - just its official support in open source sucks.
        Actually the odroids are better platforms than the pi's. It starts with the emmc's that just won't die (compared to almost DOA with uSD cards).
        The exynos has an incredible performance. The 4412 is already faster than AMD apu's and intel atom's and as such we have been replacing those.
        The 5420 though, is a different league in performance...
        The primary painful part of the exynos though is the HDMI interface. The second most painful is the v4l2 m2m H264 encoders and decoders as the support for that in the official odroid kernels are not consistent. (The 4412 H264 encoder works perfectly with up to date encoding "datapumps", the 5420 H264 encoder lacks some features to use the modern datapump).

Comment

Working...
        X