Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 361.16 Beta Driver Now Includes Long-Awaited GLVND

Phoronix: NVIDIA 361.16 Beta Driver Now Includes Long-Awaited GLVND

NVIDIA's Unix graphics driver team is starting off the new year by releasing their first public beta in the 361 Linux driver series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. My last attempt at uninstalling the blob left me with inconsistent libGL* libraries, so this will definitely be nice for easier switching to nouveau.

Comment

"as long as the other prominent Linux OpenGL drivers also opt for the GLVND design"

If only that didn't mean Catalyst... But hey, stranger things happen all the time.

Comment

Do mesa drivers have to do something special to use libglvnd too?

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
          Do mesa drivers have to do something special to use libglvnd too?
          I am guessing that since MESA is a prominent Linux OpenGL driver vendor - yes

Comment

Excellent news! But is libglvnd only supported by the nvidia blob? or is it open for all?

The way I understood it was that Nvidia's OpenGL drivers with libglvnd will exist in a different space than mesa's libgl and catalyst libgl drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Excellent news! But is libglvnd only supported by the nvidia blob? or is it open for all?

The way I understood it was that Nvidia's OpenGL drivers with libglvnd will exist in a different space than mesa's libgl and catalyst libgl drivers.
              if i remember correctly, this was proposed by NVidia and was talked by all parties.

Comment

libglvnd itself is opensource: https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd

Very exciting news. This should have been done years ago! I wonder if something like this will be used with Vulkan drivers...?

Comment

this simliar to primus 's libGL.so

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    libglvnd itself is opensource: https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd

Very exciting news. This should have been done years ago! I wonder if something like this will be used with Vulkan drivers...?
                    No, I believe Vulkan's own API is already setup for multi-vendor usage and a third party or OS-specific one like this will not be necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X