Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperion Confirms Leak Of AmigaOS 3.1 Source Code

Phoronix: Hyperion Confirms Leak Of AmigaOS 3.1 Source Code

Hyperion Entertainment confirmed that at the end of December the source code to AmigaOS 3.1 was leaked, which is now causing problems for the company continuing to develop this proprietary operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surely it's time for the whole AmigaOS codebase to be relicensed, and put up on github for anyone who is interested?

Comment

Wat? Amiga OS is still being developed? Why? "Product on Sale" with how many buyers? 2? Get real...

Comment

Honestly not trying to troll here, but does this even matter? I don't think AmigaOS has been relevant since... I'm not sure it was ever relevant, but at any rate, what is to stop them from continuing to sell their newer (I assume improved) version of AmigaOS to whatever few enthusiasts would pay for it?

Comment

It should be put up in a computer museum. I had no idea Amiga was still pretending to be "a thing".

Significantly sharing a codebase with code that old too? Lordie Lordie. Allow me to rummage around in my basement for my PS2 and Serial peripherals.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Amiga OS is still being developed? Why?
            Nostalgia.

Comment

AmigaOS benchmarks? :]

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                Wat? Amiga OS is still being developed? Why? "Product on Sale" with how many buyers? 2? Get real...
                I think Cinemaware pay them (at least for kickstart ROMs).

Comment

Oh well......long past time to open source it. Here's your incentive.

Comment

I was quite curious if this was actually a thing. After looking into it a bit, here are my conclusions...

AmigaOS is kinda like Mac was back when it ran on PowerPC only, except far less sophisticated and far less featured. The only hardware you can currently find for AmigaOS is as expensive today as it was back then... perhaps even more. Seriously, look at this: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...1&currency=USD

That is its current top-end model. Now, granted it might be more geared towards power efficiency. However, if that were the case, DDR3, let alone DDR4, is more power-efficient than DDR2. Having such a large amount of USB2 slots built-in is kinda weird since having an externally powered USB hub is more efficient. It also doesn't support SATA3.

It does have something called a "Xorro" slot which is curious. I can't find a lot of (if any of it is reliable) documentation, but it seems to be a highly configurable interface to what they call the "XMOS" chip integrated into the motherboard. The XMos chip is a co-processor which is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMOS

The problem for anyone thinking to check it out is this heap of mostly outdated junk is going for $2700 stock. I certainly don't plan on experimenting with it at that price. The cheapest hardware I could find for AmigaOS was a very small (and horribly outdated) micro board that went for about $400. It didn't look supported anymore. Frankly, that's rather pathetic as there's also no guarantee that AmigaOS would work on any modern PowerPC CPU.

AmigaOS itself costs about $50, which isn't bad. There is simply no reason for your general consumer, even an enthusiasts, to buy it though.

That said, it's clear that that isn't there goal. Most likely, they only support certain hardware for businesses to avoid public opinion and quality control to happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X