Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Finally Provides DD-WRT Support For Latest Routers

Phoronix: Linksys Finally Provides DD-WRT Support For Latest Routers

Linksys has gone ahead and is finally providing open-source DD-WRT support for their latest WRT routers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course. And just few weeks after I went with Netgear

Comment

btw, which one is better? openwrt or dd-wrt? what is the difference? All I know is that dd-wrt is using binary drivers hence support wifi devices that the manufacturer did not open source its driver Broadcom being one of them.

Comment

Did dd-wrt charge for its firmware at one time?

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
          btw, which one is better? openwrt or dd-wrt? what is the difference? All I know is that dd-wrt is using binary drivers hence support wifi devices that the manufacturer did not open source its driver Broadcom being one of them.
          Wrong question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mware_projects

Comment

Only LibreCMC firmware are good!

Linksys not provide open and free drivers they not meet even openwrt requirements!

So ignore them! They now trying to hide behind DD-WRT.

Routers are most important part form our systems so all must be open firmware divers !!! So we must use only free software on routers

go donate to LibreCMC project buy some compatible router or old pc !

Comment

I used DD-WRT in the past, but switched to ASUS routers a few years ago. I use ASUS Merlin on my ASUS routers, http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ .

Comment

Originally posted by lilos View Post
                Only LibreCMC firmware are good!

Linksys not provide open and free drivers they not meet even openwrt requirements!

So ignore them! They now trying to hide behind DD-WRT.

Routers are most important part form our systems so all must be open firmware divers !!! So we must use only free software on routers

go donate to LibreCMC project buy some compatible router or old pc !
                TP Link doesn't look too bad. They don't actively support open source on all models, but many models run openwrt nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                  dd-wrt usually takes the proprietary blobs and tries something with it. In essence it makes my routers useless, as vlan support for the switches was terrible (you needed to reboot after every setting because dd-wrt changes the settings for the boot loader, which then made the switch settings).
                  Openwrt delivers working drivers to do these changes on the fly.
                  So the one time I bought the "Open source linux netgear wnr3500L" for a high price, I felt so f*cked, because they were talking about dd-wrt, and not openwrt. There was no real hardware support. So I bought their "not linux whatever" WNDR3700 line containing an atheros based chipset, supported by openwrt. Subsequentially I ordered another 70 more and another 40 WDR4300 (tp-links).

Comment

Working...
                  X