Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 9.5 Brings UPSERT & Big Data Features

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 9.5 Brings UPSERT & Big Data Features

PostgreSQL 9.5 was officially released this morning with several exciting new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does this row-level security work?

Can it do data masking?
    "SELECT * FROM users" then it returns "*@example.com" instead of "[email protected]" ?

Comment

From the PostgreSQL 9.5 documentation on creating a row level security policy:

Any SQL conditional expression (returning boolean). The conditional expression cannot contain any aggregate or window functions. This expression will be added to queries that refer to the table if row level security is enabled. Rows for which the expression returns true will be visible. Any rows for which the expression returns false or null will not be visible to the user (in a SELECT), and will not be available for modification (in an UPDATE or DELETE). Such rows are silently suppressed; no error is reported.
      So basically, if you are not allowed to see the row, you don't see the whole thing.

Comment

The best SQL db engine, period.

Comment

To me, the best features of this new version is the UPSERT and jsonb_set, which allows update a property of a jsonb collumn
          Last edited by andrei_me; 07 January 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

FINALLY, I've wanted UPSERT for ages.

Comment

For me the best is native bi-directional replication

Comment

Question:
                "CUBE / ROLLUP / GROUPING SETS", is this on the fly, in memory, computation for the statement itself... or will it actually retain an OLAP cube that can be hit repeatedly? I wonder if it is just syntactic sugar to make it look like a Cube or could there be potential performance gains out of the thing by actually keeping a small cached cube.

PostgreSQL has some exciting stuff in it. As someone working for a large company wanting to use it commercially as a "free" option, the biggest down side is the unpolished backup / recovery feature set. I am also not impressed with the older Oracle style one-process-per-connection scheme it deploys. I wish someone would change it over to an NginX style architecture to see what kind of performance benefit can be achieved.

Comment

Working...
                X