Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Will Likely Be Delayed

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Will Likely Be Delayed

While we are not even up to the alpha release yet of Fedora 24, there's a call to already push back the entire schedule by up to a few weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about they stretch their entire damn schedule by 25% forever. so they don't consume 25% of the news sites content by their lack of ability to schedule things?

Comment

Impossible. Fedora is never delayed.

Comment

Or, alternatively, use Arch and get ALL the new features you could possibly want without having to worry about the developers lagging.

Comment

Push back the schedule... pull even more new features!

Fedora: you gotta love it, or use something else

Seriously though, are there any ABI changes in GCC 6 we should know about?

Comment

I doubt we will see F24 before summer :-P

Comment

this comes to no surprise really, i bet Fedora are wanting Wayland 1.10 in an other stuff before Alpha , the only way that can be accomplished an thats to push the release back , if there gonna enable Wayland by Default, i'd like them to take as much time as they need, i dont want a sloppy unusable DE ask yaselves this, would you prefer a stable release or a Buggy one, like Arch?
              Last edited by Anvil; 07 January 2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post
                How about they stretch their entire damn schedule by 25% forever. so they don't consume 25% of the news sites content by their lack of ability to schedule things?
                Wouldn't work. If they pad their schedules by 25%, it just means they'll be 25% over the padded schedule, for a total of 56% late....

Comment

Well, the release will be delayed a few weeks, sure - but I think that besides that, people are too trusting that F24 will have a version of Wayland that entirely replaces the functionality of X by default.

When the Fedora project announced Wayland by default for F23, I interpreted that as - "well, actually that will be F25".

It's a lot more work than it seems, even to the developers and there are still "unknown unknowns" waiting to come out of the woodwork.

I predict that F24 will be released about 1 month after the original date and Wayland still won't be default. They will probably announce that the full scope of the Wayland functionality that was intended to be included in F24 will be joining the party later on, in F25 instead.

(not to put down any of the great work that's being done!)
                  Last edited by philcostin; 07 January 2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    ... would you prefer a stable release or a Buggy one, like Arch?

I run both Arch (Plasma 5) and Fedora (Gnome Shell). In my experience they are both a bit sucky for stability. But at least Arch has a huge repository of software - which definitely is not the case for Fedora!! Actually I run Arch, headless, on my NAS as well - which has been very unremarkable (i.e. very stable)...

Comment

Working...
                    X