Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Now Supports Screen Rotation On Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Now Supports Screen Rotation On Wayland

Thanks to work that landed today by GNOME's Carlos Garnacho, there is now support on the GNOME desktop for supporting screen rotation on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! Considering that Fedora is popular with developers and developers like monitors in portrait mode this is a great feature. Hope primary selection is next.

Comment

Awesome I just got a 2-in-1 and rotation on Wayland was a concern for me.

Comment

It'd be interesting to see a solution with the hardware cursors. Could maybe rotate the cursor bitmap.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Impressive. Gnome is by far the most advanced desktop.
          I wouldn't say the most advanced - it's the most complete (which is arguably better). KDE is more advanced but it isn't as polished.

Comment

I'm a KDE person myself, but lovely to see the GNOME developers pushing Wayland support along! I might even have to give it a go just to see what it's like these days. (Not that I expect to stay -- I want all those configuration knobs! )

Comment

I dont want to be blunt, but this make me laugh. Typical linux big new article, simple thing is now working..

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                I dont want to be blunt, but this make me laugh. Typical linux big new article, simple thing is now working..
                I'll (initially) give you the benefit out the doubt as to whether you're trolling.

Note that it says "Wayland". This is a "future tech not currently in use is one step closer to matching what we currently use" article. Remember, the whole point of Wayland is as a ground-up rewrite to fix the problems with X11 that are too fundamental to fix any other way.

See The Real Story Behind Wayland and X. (Warning: Very entertaining talk ahead)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'll (initially) give you the benefit out the doubt as to whether you're trolling.

Note that it says "Wayland". This is a "future tech not currently in use is one step closer to matching what we currently use" article. Remember, the whole point of Wayland is as a ground-up rewrite to fix the problems with X11 that are too fundamental to fix any other way.

See The Real Story Behind Wayland and X. (Warning: Very entertaining talk ahead)
                  Indeed, I supposed he is trolling. Wayland is relatively new and they had to create their own implementation for it since they want mutter for compositing. It's a huge deal and gnome seems like it is far and away the most mature desktop enviornment.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Awesome! Considering that Fedora is popular with developers and developers like monitors in portrait mode this is a great feature. Hope primary selection is next.
                    We do? <3 generalisations - but for me - landscape is much nicer to use

Comment

Working...
                    X