Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Rolls Out Useful Linux Updates For TF2 & CS:GO

Phoronix: Valve Rolls Out Useful Linux Updates For TF2 & CS:GO

Valve today rolled out some nice updates for gamers of Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, including Linux-specific improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has the CS:GO Linux memory leak been fixed, where the game falls to 5-ish FPS after a few rounds? (Only happens with multicore rendering enabled, but without it, the peak FPS is cut in half).

Also there was a sound issue where the last played second of audio gets stuck on repeat until you restart the game.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Also there was a sound issue where the last played second of audio gets stuck on repeat until you restart the game.
      I have a similar problem in L4D2 now. It was introduced in the latest update and is incredibly annoying. I'm sure it'll never get fixed since people at Valve only work on what they want to work on and there's zero leadership at that place.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I have a similar problem in L4D2 now. It was introduced in the latest update and is incredibly annoying. I'm sure it'll never get fixed since people at Valve only work on what they want to work on and there's zero leadership at that place.

Surely if you only noticed an issue of this magnitude in the last update, they have managed to prevent issues like this up to that point. Why would they suddenly be less responsive?

Comment

As long as you have an accurate report (written or technical) about the issue then it will be faster to fix it (in theory), but only if you report it as such.

Comment

I see the same thing happening, and it goes away if I switch to "headphones" instead of "5.1" sound. The annoying thing is that it keeps resetting to "5.1" again, every time I restart. Perhaps even every time I go back to the menu, I can't remember right now. Before uninstalling and removing my entire L4D2 directory, I couldn't even enter the sound menu and exit it without it wanting to restart the game to "apply changes". The problem was that after restarting, it had reset all the settings again, so I could never change anything. This was fixed after re-installing it completely though, could be some sort of issue stuck from using the beta release of the game before it was officially released on Linux.

I still get the stuttering sound though, but I had it before the latest update. I hope they fix it soon.

I've mentioned it on this forum before, but I get pretty bad performance (running RadeonSI on R290 card) when zombies start pouring in, almost to the point of being unplayable. Otherwise it's almost a stable 60 fps, as far as I can tell. I haven't disabled sync await in Xorg, perhaps I should do that. I've been meaning to test the performance in Windows, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

On another note, I hope they upgrade libSDL to using 2.0 so we can use wayland instead of X11. That would be awesome. As far as I could tell, they're running 1.2, or perhaps an significantly older version of 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              Has the CS:GO Linux memory leak been fixed, where the game falls to 5-ish FPS after a few rounds? (Only happens with multicore rendering enabled, but without it, the peak FPS is cut in half).

That only happened to me with Portal 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I see the same thing happening, and it goes away if I switch to "headphones" instead of "5.1" sound. The annoying thing is that it keeps resetting to "5.1" again, every time I restart. Perhaps even every time I go back to the menu, I can't remember right now. Before uninstalling and removing my entire L4D2 directory, I couldn't even enter the sound menu and exit it without it wanting to restart the game to "apply changes". The problem was that after restarting, it had reset all the settings again, so I could never change anything. This was fixed after re-installing it completely though, could be some sort of issue stuck from using the beta release of the game before it was officially released on Linux.

I still get the stuttering sound though, but I had it before the latest update. I hope they fix it soon.

I've mentioned it on this forum before, but I get pretty bad performance (running RadeonSI on R290 card) when zombies start pouring in, almost to the point of being unplayable. Otherwise it's almost a stable 60 fps, as far as I can tell. I haven't disabled sync await in Xorg, perhaps I should do that. I've been meaning to test the performance in Windows, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

On another note, I hope they upgrade libSDL to using 2.0 so we can use wayland instead of X11. That would be awesome. As far as I could tell, they're running 1.2, or perhaps an significantly older version of 2.0.

With me the performance with the R9 290 is ok in L4D2. I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 with the Vivid graphic stack. Kubuntu 15.10 standard and with padoka PPA (OpenGL4.1) was even better. What driver are you using?

And the sound problems are a pain in the ass. Always resetting to 5.1 and from time to time sound got stuck. And 5.1 didn't work well for me, the sounds of the back speakers won't work. But CS:GO the 5.1 setup work like a charm, L4D2 is the one broken.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

With me the performance with the R9 290 is ok in L4D2. I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 with the Vivid graphic stack. Kubuntu 15.10 standard and with padoka PPA (OpenGL4.1) was even better. What driver are you using?

And the sound problems are a pain in the ass. Always resetting to 5.1 and from time to time sound got stuck. And 5.1 didn't work well for me, the sounds of the back speakers won't work. But CS:GO the 5.1 setup work like a charm, L4D2 is the one broken.
                  I'm using the 7.6.1 radeonsi drivers on a 4.3.3 kernel. I've set $R600_DEBUG to "hyperz sb" and $RADEON_HYPERZ=1, so I'm using the sb patches and HyperZ should be enabled properly. Otherwise I'm running pretty vanilla settings. Any tips for better settings? I did seem to have issues with the re-clocking of the card, it seemed the GPU wasn't ramping up properly after a sleep cycle, so I tried running it at high settings all the time, and that didn't really have an impact. Seems L4D2 is pretty CPU bottlenecked. When I did get the GPU to ramp up properly, it still didn't max out.

I've also enabled DRI3, and it shows up enabled in Xorg.0.log ("DRI3 Enabled").

The xorg-server version I'm running is 1.17.4, since Gentoo haven't bumped the package yet.

Comment

I'd really like if they fix Steam itself. Because if you want to use AMD Mesa drivers you still need this workaround
                    When I start steam in a terminal, I get the following error messages charlie@SteamMPL:~$ steam rm: no se puede borrar «/home/charlie/.steam/steam»: Es un directorio rm: no se puede borrar
                    Last edited by Zeioth; 08 January 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X