Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Letdowns For Linux / Open-Source Users From 2015

Phoronix: Other Letdowns For Linux / Open-Source Fans From 2015

When ending out 2015 I wrote about some of the open-source Linux letdowns of the year while since then Phoronix readers have suggested more items that they were sad to see not materialize this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This whole Openshot 2.0 thing is killing me. I really, really want to try it out. It should be such a large upgrade.

Comment

Even in "Other Letdowns" no mention of the 4 month delay of the HTC Vive. That would be by far the biggest one for me besides no Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
        Even in "Other Letdowns" no mention of the 4 month delay of the HTC Vive. That would be by far the biggest one for me besides no Vulkan.
        Because it's really not something Linux/open-source specific.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
          Overall, the whole Linux non-linear video editing scene remains rather bleak (...)
          I disagree. Probably you didn't track the amazing Pitivi video editor and GStreamer Editing Services progress.

Comment

Originally posted by fdelapena View Post
            I've been tracking it and wrote articles about it.. Things for it are looking bright for the future, but not really quite there yet... I still wouldn't compare Pitivi to the commercial/proprietary options available on other platforms, etc. Perhaps in a year or two it will be, but not for 2015.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fdelapena View Post
              Pitivi will be great in the future but right now it's still far from even matching kdenlive features. No proxy editing, lackluster composite support, no gpu accelerated rendering, no Ken Burns effect etc

Comment

My year's disappointment was the missed opportunity for an ideal ARM linux laptop launch when Intel missing the tick, Windows 10 sold poorly and the surplus of DDR3 RAM in the market. That's the problem with always procrastinating on FOSS driver development, when the market is ready, you're not.

Hopefully 2016 won't disappoint in this regard.

Comment

Also: Still waiting for that intel dri3 PRIME sync (for use in combination with radeon)... Is this ignored on purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Because it's really not something Linux/open-source specific.
                    Alright, it's got nothing to do with open-source. But it will probably affect Linux gaming, so it's at least vaguely connected. But, okay.

Comment

Working...
                    X