Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.18 Released With Numerous Additions

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.18 Released With Numerous Additions

KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 was released this weekend with the latest add-on components for complementing Qt 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've found that 5.17.0 to be acceptably stable on Arch Linux. Had my laptop on for days emerging Gentoo (now also moving to a Plasma Next Desktop!) Doing a bit of graphics work with Inkscape. Appears to be pretty rock solid. All my little niggles are getting sorted out... Multi-monitor support for independent slideshow backgrounds. Drag and reorder Konsole tabs (finally). Little incremental fixes - but nice to see!

Comment

Really. Nothing more satisfying from a user pov than a quiet, boring bug-fix release.

Comment

Glad to see KDE & Plasma are maturing. I'd like to try and write an app for KDE, but it is a bit mysterious how one writes a modern KDE app, the documentation is fragmented and a lot of it is out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
          Glad to see KDE & Plasma are maturing. I'd like to try and write an app for KDE, but it is a bit mysterious how one writes a modern KDE app, the documentation is fragmented and a lot of it is out of date.
          If you've got a simple app in mind, just use QtCreator and forget about the kde extensions for now. The QtCreator docs should be in good shape. A regular Qt5 app looks good and if written correctly is cross-platform.

Comment

Well, I'd call http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/ rather centralized, and complete. It's not perfect, but it's all there. And as for techbase.kde.org, people are working on an attack plan to remove all outdated tutorials, too.

Comment

Glad to see KDE & Plasma are maturing.
              Depends on how you look at it. The moment KDE 3 matured, it was deprecated and we moved to KDE 4. The moment KDE 4 matured, we moved to KDE 5. And history has this habit of repeating itself
              But hey, I'll take aggressive rewrites over code rot any day.

Comment

I'd like to try and write an app for KDE, but it is a bit mysterious how one writes a modern KDE app, the documentation is fragmented and a lot of it is out of date.
                I guess it depends on what you consider a KDE app.

Usually that means an application developer by KDE developers.
                Which in most cases are what is more generically referred to as Qt applications.
                I.e. referring to KDE as the origin of the applications

One other interpretation is to mean a Plasma applet.
                I.e. referring to KDE as the "Linux desktop shell".

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                  Gentoo (now also moving to a Plasma Next Desktop!
                  What?

Comment

Working...
                  X