Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next-Gen Media Controller Support Going Into Linux 4.5

Phoronix: Next-Gen Media Controller Support Going Into Linux 4.5

The media updates for the Linux 4.5 kernel merge window are very heavy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand what all this is actually about. I once had a hybrid card but V4L and DVB are fairly different beasts.

Comment

http://blogs.s-osg.org/media-resourc...ontroller-api/ ? Is it about this?

Edit : other info : https://www.linuxtv.org/news.php?ent...-11-12.mchehab
      Last edited by Serafean; 12 January 2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        I don't understand what all this is actually about. I once had a hybrid card but V4L and DVB are fairly different beasts.
        I'm guessing this has something to do with the PC, but it's mainly aimed at embedding the Linux kernel into more specialized devices.
        I'm a big consumer of media on the PC, so I'm fairly out of touch with this.

Comment

Hopefully this opens the door for better DRM, so that we can use a Linux machine for recording live tv on copy protected channels. I want to run full linux, but in building my next HTPC, I want to replace my DVR and Cable boxes, but only Windows Media Center (7/8.1) can record copy protected channels. On top of that, only WMC Extenders can play them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            Thanks, that made is clear in the very first paragraph. It's about locking, which isn't an interesting as this initially sounded but I have seen what can happen without it. I used to run MythTV against my hybrid card so it was often recording DVB in the background. If I tried to use the analog tuner at the same time, the picture would be distorted. The drivers weren't smart enough to prevent this from being attempted.

Comment

Working...
            X