Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like X.Org Might Be Safe For A Few More Years

Phoronix: It Looks Like X.Org Might Be Safe For A Few More Years

It looks like a miracle happened just in time for X.Org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

19 January 2015? That's not too reassuring.

Comment

The X.Org domain was renewed today and now lists its expiry date of 19 January 2015.
      January 2015, what a big win

Comment

It's 2025, for you sarcastics.

My guess is that Leon showed some mercy and decided not to let it expire.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

January 2015, what a big win
          Silly typo, fixed. thanks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            It's 2025, for you sarcastics.

My guess is that Leon showed some mercy and decided not to let it expire.
            I had also heard from a domain rep that read my article and he mentioned to me he was going to contact the board as he had an idea, but not sure if that is what got it renewed or something else.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I had also heard from a domain rep that read my article and he mentioned to me he was going to contact the board as he had an idea, but not sure if that is what got it renewed or something else.

Maybe it's within their agreement and legal framework to renew somebody else's domain.

What I'm worried about is when Leon may legally die (whether he's actually dead or not), he may not have anything set up to transfer the domain.

Comment

I'd still love to know why one single member was given total control of such an asset in the first place, apparently with no obligation to maintain it.
                Ad-hoc handing out of responsibilites isn't unusual in small projects, but for something as valuable as a single-letter domain...?

Comment

I'd still love to know why one single member was given total control over such an asset, apparently with no attached responsibility.
                  Ad-hoc allocation of tasks and resources makes sense for small projects, but for something as valuable as a single-letter domain...?

Comment

Good to know that they " tried all the obvious steps which would occur to anyone within about ten seconds' worth of thought".

Now, after 10 years, it might be a good idea to spend a bit more thought on the matter and try the less obvious.

Comment

Working...
                    X