Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 14.2 Beta Released, Now Uses PulseAudio

Phoronix: Slackware 14.2 Beta Released, Now Uses PulseAudio

Patrick Volkerding is kicking off 2016 by announcing the first beta release of Slackware 14.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any reason tu use Slackware nowadays? I mean, the package management in other distributions like Arch is way better.

Comment

Pat and the slack aficionados have always amazed me. I think they do an amazing job.
      Everything is not measured in bleeding edge adherence to Wayland, Systemd, Compiz and other crap.

Comment

Slackware was great back in 1995. I see absolutely no reason to choose it today when you have serious distributions like Arch or Debian and its spinoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          Is there any reason tu use Slackware nowadays? I mean, the package management in other distributions like Arch is way better.
          As far as tastes go I could say exactly the opposite. Is there any reason what so ever to use anything else? Slack still has minimal crap load compared to most distributions.
          With that said, I think most distros do a pretty good job and I have no problems using most of them, but I like Slack better.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            I use it because it is rock solid. The package management in Slackware is actually less prone to break your system because it doesn't try to solve dependencies. Which makes it better imho. What also makes Slackware number 1 for me is that in the Slackware philosophy the user isn't considered stupid.

Comment

Slackware is a great choice when you know what you're doing and have a very specific purpose for it. If you're trying to build a regular server or desktop PC though, I wouldn't consider it an ideal option. Same goes for Gentoo.

Comment

with pa but without systemd slackware in 2016 is 2004-era modern and relevant

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                  The package management in Slackware is actually less prone to break your system because it doesn't try to solve dependencies.
                  it does not do package management then and of course it will do nothing but break your system

Comment

It won't break your system, only you can break your system.

Comment

Working...
                    X